Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surf Caster

Tsunami Wood Plugs

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

So the last couple of times I've been in a tackle store I've been tempted to try one of the new Tsunami Timber Series plugs......... and today, I finally caved.

I picked up a blurple 2 3/4 oz metal lipped swimmer. Big split rings, VMC hooks, solid paint, nice epoxy finish and under $20, seems like a pretty good deal to me. Now the real question (and the thing that matters most) is if they swim nicely or not. I plan to hit the suds pretty hard this weekend so hopefully I'll be able to put it to use.

I've heard from a reputable source that the metal lipped swimmer is a solid plug and has produced, so hopefully he's right!

I hope these swim as nicely as they look because for under $20 its not a bad way to add some wood to your plug collection. Also a solid gift idea for my little brother as he is just starting and I plan to add to his plug collection at Christmas.

Has anyone had any experience with the tsunami timber plugs? If so, any thoughts on their action and durabiliity?

I'm actually really surprised we didn't hear much about these since they have been out since early spring. Thought we would be getting threads about them either catching or falling apart or whatever. It has been pretty quiet.

Fish it and let us know what you think and if they catch.

John

View PostSOMETIMES saying something nice about mass produced plugs get's some people upset.(i'm not one of them) good luck let us know.

Mass produced? I thought it was the fact that they were exact duplicate knock offs of plugs made popular by hard working local builders, some of whom are no longer with us, and then farmed out to China for mass production that was the issue? smile.gif

TimS

View PostMass produced? I thought it was the fact that they were exact duplicate knock offs of plugs made popular by hard working local builders, some of whom are no longer with us, and then farmed out to China for mass production that was the issue? smile.gif

TimS

See,That did'nt take long.smile.gif

I haven't picked up any because, quite frankly, I really don't need any more "me too" plugs, even if they're dirt cheap. I wish I could justify buying some just to see how they work, but I don't have any need for them.

People will always build a better (and CHEAPER) mousetrap and, unless the designs they copy are patented HappyWave.gif , the world will beat a path to their doors - and that's OK.

View PostApparently some people have a problem with the free enterprise system this country operates on wink.gif

Make something worthwhile and see how you like it when someone copies it and sells it. Till then, your opinion is duly noted - you don't mind people farming out plug building to China to mass produce plugs designed and made popular by others - got it, thanks smile.gif

I love the free enterprise system this country operates on, you couldn't be further from the truth and I couldn't be less surprised HappyWave.gif

TimS

View PostMake something worthwhile and see how you like it when someone copies it and sells it. Till then, your opinion is duly noted - you don't mind people farming out plug building to China to mass produce plugs designed and made popular by others - got it, thanks smile.gif

I love the free enterprise system this country operates on, you couldn't be further from the truth and I couldn't be less surprised HappyWave.gif

TimS

Sorta like the SOL minnows right? Sorry I went there Tim, but it's the same thing.

I think some people just want the "name" plugs. "Danny's" sounds better than "Tsunami". As for me? Well, I have both and I've used both and I'll take the cheaper one all day. Why spend over $20 for a plug when I can buy one for under $20 and catch just as many fish with it? It's like having to have a VS when a Penn SG will do the same exact thing.

Didn't we already have a gazillion page thread about the morals of the Tsunami plugs? I'm interested to hear if guys have had success with them and also how they have held up.

Personally, I have too much other stuff and don't need any of the styles of plugs Tsunami is making but I am sure some guys bought them and used them. How did they turn out? It is just strange to me that we heard very very little about them......good or bad.

John

I have two of them and they are beginning to become my favorite lures.. I have fished them hard this year and they look like they just came out of the package. I have never seen a wood lure hold it's finish so nicely, they swim great, they have great hardware and they cost as much as a gibbs.. Sounds like a win win to me...