Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Heavy Hooksetter

White at night or Dark when no light??

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

black at night.

seems to matter less if you are bouncing the bottom, but if it's riding higher in the water then black at night supposedly creates a much more visible silhouette that the fish can key in on.

whatever the fish want smile.gif

in general,

dark night=dark plugs

bright night=lighter colored plugs

i think plug profile is slightly more important, the color just adds to the appeal, but some nights the opposite is true. Thats why we carry bags that ya can stuff 20 diferent plugs into wink.gif

Years ago I was at my tackle shop(I didn't own it but I bought it five or six times) buying plugs.

I took four of each color in the rack from black to white and all between.

Guy sitting there chewing the fat says, "Why all those colors, Chet". Answer: cause I'm a colorful guy and I like a lot of colors.

Truth:

I have fished long enough to know that the height of the clouds and the angle of the moon can make the difference on whether you want to tow dark blue or light blue, yellow or brown or black or white.

How can a fish see the difference in color? Darned if I know but I have proven that the dfifference in color makes the difference of what is in the box at the slack of the tide.

Used Silver Horde Salmon Plugs. Had 7 1/2 inch plugs a dozen color patterns and caught fish on every plug. But at different times in the four hour tide! Start out with one color working great for a half hour and like you turned a lightswitch off, they stop hitting it. Change color, same plug, bang, turned on again. Got to feed them what they want.

One night they may be on Gibbs Brown Whiting Swimmer, next night they could be on Goo Goo Eye Yellow with white belly!

Darn Fish..enough to drive one nuts and keep you up all night in the Winter time when you aught to be sleeping!

I use the same plugs at night as I do during the day. Have had some awesome nights on light colored plugs and caught 3 of my biggest fish in the daytime on dark backed lures. Though those plugs had silver sides and white bellies. wink.gif

What Adrian and Nor-easter said..

Go with the proven rukes of thumb handed down to us by our illustrious salty smelly crusty surf forefathers.. then if that aint working btreak all the rules till ya get one.. then remember the folowing things..

1. What you used.

2. Where you used it

3. When you used it

4. What tide moon phase and wind..

then jot that down in your secret log..

then the next time your in that spot and you have the same curcumstances present then you have you "own rules of thumb to draw upon"..

Thats a great time to bet for burgers wink.gif

whatever the fish want smile.gif

in general,

dark night=dark plugs

bright night=lighter colored plugs

i think plug profile is slightly more important, the color just adds to the appeal, but some nights the opposite is true. Thats why we carry bags that ya can stuff 20 diferent plugs into wink.gif

Well said icon14.gif

Years ago I was at my tackle shop(I didn't own it but I bought it five or six times) buying plugs.

I took four of each color in the rack from black to white and all between.

Guy sitting there chewing the fat says, "Why all those colors, Chet". Answer: cause I'm a colorful guy and I like a lot of colors.

Truth:

I have fished long enough to know that the height of the clouds and the angle of the moon can make the difference on whether you want to tow dark blue or light blue, yellow or brown or black or white.

How can a fish see the difference in color? Darned if I know but I have proven that the dfifference in color makes the difference of what is in the box at the slack of the tide.

Used Silver Horde Salmon Plugs. Had 7 1/2 inch plugs a dozen color patterns and caught fish on every plug. But at different times in the four hour tide! Start out with one color working great for a half hour and like you turned a lightswitch off, they stop hitting it. Change color, same plug, bang, turned on again. Got to feed them what they want.

One night they may be on Gibbs Brown Whiting Swimmer, next night they could be on Goo Goo Eye Yellow with white belly!

Darn Fish..enough to drive one nuts and keep you up all night in the Winter time when you aught to be sleeping!

wow,yellow goo-goo eys plugs,have not heard that in a long time.

I still have some and some in the package too. tongue.gif