Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
toaster816

I am DONE with 2 piece rods

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Just had an Ugly Stik Custom Graphite 8'6" SNAP where the two halves of the rod connect. I think that they began to separate as I was casting and it finally snapped when it separated enough. I hope Dick's has a good return policy, just bought the thing last Friday...

Should I have gone with the St. Croix, G. Loomis, or Lamiglas?

Anyone else have this happen with similar models?

View PostJust had an Ugly Stik Custom Graphite 8'6" SNAP where the two halves of the rod connect. I think that they began to separate as I was casting and it finally snapped when it separated enough. I hope Dick's has a good return policy, just bought the thing last Friday...

Should I have gone with the St. Croix, G. Loomis, or Lamiglas?

what kinda fishing r u doing

i can't poopoo Ugly sticks.... they are some of the most abused rods out there.... tough & cheap rods... dunno about different models but the glass ones are tough... i've got some that i've been bending into a circle to show friends since i was in elementary school...

for graphite going a little upscale probably isn't a bad idea...

did you ever try getting a 12 or 15 foot surf rod into your suv without breaking it down??? sometimes you can't avoid getting a 2 piece... just get a nice one next time....

View Postwhat kinda fishing r u doing

I am fishing from rocks in waders mostly plugging with lures no heavier than 2 oz. The rod is rated to fish lures 1-5 oz.

I just read on their website that any rod that cracks, breaks, or snaps while fishing can be replaced free of charge if mailed in. Hopefully this is true.

In the military, we have a saying; "operator, headpspace, and timing". Those two halves need to be snug, but I think you know that.

You probly didnt have the two peices conected tight enough of it came lose and while casting or catching a fish it snapped right in the middle I've had that happen too me once or twice before its not the rod there could have been a nic in a blank which caused that. Thats why I like too glue 2 peice rods together.

View Posti can't poopoo Ugly sticks.... they are some of the most abused rods out there.... tough & cheap rods... dunno about different models but the glass ones are tough... i've got some that i've been bending into a circle to show friends since i was in elementary school...

for graphite going a little upscale probably isn't a bad idea...

did you ever try getting a 12 or 15 foot surf rod into your suv without breaking it down??? sometimes you can't avoid getting a 2 piece... just get a nice one next time....

Scooter I have fished Ugly Stik glass models my whole life. This year I have started to go towards more high end gear but when I saw this rod on sale for a pretty reasonable price I thought, why not.

It was $94 bucks which was not bad considering how high you can pay for nice graphite. But I guess the old adage you get what you pay for rings true here. I guess I will dish out the extra hundred to get a higher end rod if it can't be replaced.

Also, does anyone ever glue their two piece rods? I transport all my rods on my THULE roof ski rack, which secures them perfectly atop my car, so having a one piece rod isn't an issue with me.

View PostYou probly didnt have the two peices conected tight enough of it came lose and while casting

You're right, I think that is exactly what happened Shawn. What do you use to glue your rods?

View Posti've got some that i've been bending into a circle to show friends since i was in elementary school...

I remember when I was a kid, my gramps all sauced up on scotch and he wanted to demonstrate this to me and a friend. They were the FW pistol grip rods... He snapped 4 in a row and finally realized it was a bad ideacwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif My friend and I still laugh about it.

I had the same thing happen with a 9' St. Croix triumph... Snapped right there as I was loading a 1.5 oz bucktail. Warranty covered it, but still a hassle.

Other than that, I've never had an issue with 2 pc rods. Maybe a little ferrule wax would help in the future.

View PostJust had an Ugly Stik Custom Graphite 8'6" SNAP

Not meaning to be rude, but the rod is 'toast'. What an apt name.smile.gif

View PostNot meaning to be rude, but the rod is 'toast'. What an apt name.smile.gif

Jack, yes, my new rod is indeed, toast haha.

Your comical post almost makes this whole debacle worth while...

Now if you'll excuse me I am going over to FedEx to ship this thing back to the manufacturer.

They are good with the return and replace policy especially if you just bought the rod. I returned a fresh water ugly stick when the tip broke off, it was a defect in the rod. All I can transport is 2 pc rods and I make it a habit of checking the connection every 10-20 cast. I have launched the top part of my rod on more than one occasion.

I had two rods that were giving me trouble. One wouldn't fit in tight enough and I cracked the furrule and the other the rod kept falling apart. I sanded them down and rebuilt the finish with some kind of laquer form The Mud Hole.

On the $400 rod I had to sand it down twice and amazingly enough the second time I didn't sweat at all ! Nothing but expensive nail polish ...