Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Jamiolkowski

Waders - Stocking Feet or Attached Boots

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Tried the search funtion and I could not find anything about the pluses/cons of types of waders. I have heard that if you fish mostly sandy beaches, then do not get stocking feet waders because sand will get into your shoes. My waders from Cabelas are fine but they weight a ton. Any amount of walking and you feel like taking a rest. Fished with a knowledgeable guy yesterday, (no fish - lot of fun), and his were as light as a feather. Any recommendations would be welcome. Some of the companies have no quibble warranties so if you have a problem you can return them and either they fix them or give you a new pair. Thanks guys.

I wear stocking foots with Korker Light Boots. Sand does get in if I dont put the cover around my boot on well. I've never worn bootfoots, so I can't speak to that perspective. But it is a comfortable fit, so I'm OK with walking for a while if I have to (rarely do). But given the mess, I've been considering a pair of bootfoots for when I know I won't have to trek far.

I believe LL Bean makes a breathable bootfoot for not a lot of $. I like their products.

I have always worn stocking foot due to the fact that I can get much better ankle support from the wading boots.

Yes, some sand may get in the boots. So what. I use gravel guards and it's minimal. I have never had to remove the boot to empty sand.

Like I said, IMO, the ankle support is worth any minor hassle with the sand...

Chris

Well, I had been using a pair of neoprene boot foot waders, and while sand wasn't an issue, weight definitely was. I recently sucked it up and bought a pair of Simms Gore-Tex G3 stocking foots with a pair of Cabelas lightweight wading boots and I couldn't be happier. The waders have gravel guards on them and after half a dozen trips to the beach I've only gotten a minimal amount of sand in the boots so far. No rocks at all. I'm not sure of the weight of mine but they're featherweight when compares to my old neo bootfoots.

there are a lot of GOOD breathable, light-weight waders out there and I'm sure you can find some that fit and wear good. I went to Cabelas to actually try them on and I'm very pleased with them. Good luck! Simp

If you walk alot on a very fine sand beach, you will get sand in there, no matter what. That being said, I prefer the stocking feet.

to play devil's advocate here I went with boot foot for a couple reasons.

There's the sand issue which makes me wonder if the sand could wear down the neoprene in addition to being uncomfortable.

Also the bootfoots are easier to get out of in case of an emergency.

that said I've never worn stocking foots so I have no basis of comparison.

i like bootfoot, but have never used stocking feet. my uncle used stockings, and i remember him always emptying them out on the outer cape beaches. he now used boot foots. like the guy before me said, they are easy to get in and out of. i like this when i hop around different spots. but of course i hate tying laces. i bought a pair of trail hikers/sneakers that have a neoprene integrated tongue...so i never have to tye them. i also never tye my tennis shoes, unless im playing tennis.

View PostI have always worn stocking foot due to the fact that I can get much better ankle support from the wading boots.

Yes, some sand may get in the boots. So what. I use gravel guards and it's minimal. I have never had to remove the boot to empty sand.

Like I said, IMO, the ankle support is worth any minor hassle with the sand...

Chris

I agree 100% with this statement. Bottom line is if you plan on jetty or rock hopping or walking a decent distance while fishing stocking foot is absolutely the way to go. If you are driving on the beach or bait fishing, not walking a lot the boot foot are the way to go IMO.

I have always worn stocking foot waders until I bought a cheap pair of boot foot waders specifically for the beach this year. The sand can wear at the seams pretty bad on stocking foots.

i think it also depends on how big the rocks are you're walking on. I have bootfoot and occasionally fish where there are bowling ball sized rocks, and smaller. Beats the living crap out of my feet because there is no ankle support or, worse, a shank to protect the soles of your feet. It leaves you feeling like you just did time in a Turkish prison.

Some manufacturers (LL BEan, Orvis, and Cabelas come to mind) make an attached lace up boot. No inconveniences of the separate boot, but with additional ankle support and comfort.

View PostSome manufacturers (LL BEan, Orvis, and Cabelas come to mind) make an attached lace up boot. No inconveniences of the separate boot, but with additional ankle support and comfort.

I had these from Orvis and they were my favorite waders, though there was some weird flap that would collect sand. I have stocking foot as I got a great deal on some simms. I'd go back to lace up boot foot if I found the right pair.