Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maddog2020

WHY do we want the best when a regular one will do?!

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Because when your not catching, you need to eliminate every possible reason on why your not catching...

------------------

Ron

Rott-n-Captn

Proud RFA Member

"Keeping fish for the Dinner table is still legal, right?"

Personally, I think that post coitus cigarette with Catherine Bell would beat cranking a VS wink.gif But, thats just me.

C_Bell.jpg

LOL<And I get beat up when I use the word intercoursewink.gif

Hey gad, nice pic, icon14.gif

As far as spending that much on a reel... How much did you spend on your vehicle. I know it is off track but in 10 or 12 years that vehicle aint worth squat. Where as that many years from now and the reel should still be fine and my guess still worth some money.

The best argument I could make to getting a VS that has been made before I am sure is that if you combined all the money spent of gear that is either broken, needs serious help, or just doesnt suit yours needs than you could have already gotten multiple VS's and that would have been the end of it. A VS is a serious machine that really needs very little tendering and maintainance and can handle any situation you make. I wish I had known this the very first time I bought gear. It almost seems wrong to spend that kind of money in the beginning because you feel you should get the cheap stuff first and then work your way up. That makes total sense.. no doubt you should start out with the cheaper but well built gear. But then after you have bought about 10 more sub par reels about a year later because you were reluctant to drop 500 bucks you could have already had a VS that would have taken care of every situation you have. That is just my way of thinking. If you have the money than go for it, but more important priorities always come first. As grandpa old spook mentioned. Family first fishing there after biggrin.gif

LIve life.. get the VS.. you wont regret it

Alex

[This message has been edited by castingkid (edited 01-26-2003).]

I wish I had one.

I think that they are worth it. I've noticed that the guys who really do a lot of trips per year swear by them. My Penns work fine and I use them a lot but I need to take the gear plate off and rinse the gears and apply some WD-40 almost every trip, with a VS you save fishing time.

Hey gadwall8, LMAOROTF! There are some things that are MORE fun than fishing! <veg> She is a hottie. Gggrrrrrrrrrhhh (like Homer would say).

I love eating FOOD more than fishing. smile.gif

Vehicle wise, my ol' pickup had to be retired last year after 12 yrs of reliable transportation. frown.gif Gawd I miss my pu. I drive around a subcompact since we could not afford a new pu truck. Now I am limited to two piece rods, or one piece rods shorter than 8' long. frown.gif If I had the $$$ the H2 looks like it would be a lot of fun in the sand. smile.gif

May be the 200 size would suite my 10' rod better. I like the smaller 150 size on a 9'. Why don't I just buy the 250 as well while I am at it. wink.gif Black is going to be the color that much I am sure.

I look at what daycare & pre-K costs (talk about tossing ya $$ out the window). frown.gif We catch more upper respiratory bugs that I care to count. Public school next Fall will save us a bundle. Sorry, I regress.....LOL.

------------------

Ray 'md2020'

[This message has been edited by maddog2020 (edited 01-26-2003).]

If i fished spinning gear at all Id have no problem in purchasing a VS. They are a finely machined piece of equipment and can obviously take the punishment of saltwater use. And they hold their value as well. As far as Shimano's reel names starting with the letter "S", all of their spinning reels start with an "S" and the casting reels start with a "C", (save for the big game reels like the Tiara & Trinidad)........ Ray, we gotta get you into some conventional gear wink.gif

------------------

Chas........SOL#241

Berkeley Striper Club.... Seaside,NJ

[This message has been edited by Dusky (edited 01-26-2003).]

Life is too short and stupid, try to enjoy every single second of it the best way possible.

I don't consider VS a "reel" at all with its historical internal spool design and anti-reverse that works on the handle putting much strain on the gears meshing point, but if it will make you happy, GET IT. icon14.gif

IMHO, there are two types of people in this world:

1. People who will look for a reason to spend $500 or $600 on a reel.

2. People who will look for a reason not to spend $500 or $600 on a reel.

That's it smile.gif

I have a VS150. Getting the VS100 soon. I love them! I just bought a Tibor Everglades and a Tibor Riptide at the fly show. All I do is fish aside from school and my job. IT IS MY ONLY ADDICTION. I like to have nice gear that can be beat to death and not skip a beat. These threads always seem to turn out being about price and not quality. You get what you pay for.

------------------

Catch Em' up!

Hip

I've never actually seen or held a VS!

Might be one of those things where once you see it ya gotta get one.

I've always bought the best gear that I can afford at the time I am buying.I've never "cheaped" out on gear ..........good gear is worth the price.

One thing I've always believed is if something is "your thing".........your love.........your passion...........then buy what you want and the hell with what anyone thinks.

Unfortunately...............or furtunately I think..............I have a bunch "o passions smile.gif

Mountain climbing,backpacking,scuba diving,kayaking(sea,whitewater,surf,fishin),canoe trippin,.............

So................I buy what I can afford!

This year I'm sure I'll meet up with one of you VS owners and perhaps you'll let me put my paws on your reel ............I promise to hand it back smile.gif