Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandflee

4Runners and the smell of sulphur

14 posts in this topic

so i have a 2005 do all the 4runners smell like someone opened a can of rotten eggs and amonia when you step on the gas? How is it that this was never recalled? oh wait $$ thats why, is there anything they can do under warranty to solve the problem? replace the converter? anything....

just noticed there is a TSB to cover it under warranty, has anyone pursued this? although it looks like it solves the smell but sacrifices your MPG

Every now and then get a foul odor from my 98 if i have the rear window down when pulling away from stop sign etc, didnt really notice it much until all ethanol gas came in to play.

View PostSounds like the CAT frown.gif $$

Negavite ghostrider......well, cats, but perhaps not the way you think.

Instead of rewriting the whole thing here's a quick quote from my T4R forums:

There has been much discussion about this "sulfur smell" on other boards. Basically, Toyota claims that this is from the quality of gas you put in your truck. In other words, try a different gas station/brand. Or move to California (stricter gas & emission), where very few owners (if any) have this problem. Toyota also advise to be more mellow in your driving habits (avoid hard acceleration).

The theory for this smell is that due to clean emission standards (ULEV) set by Toyota (and other car companies) and that many gas companies have not caught up with these standards, there are still large amount of sulfur in the gasoline. This smell is most noticeable when you accelerate hard. Also, if you leave your windows down, the smell will hit you hard.

...and here we have one of the TSBs (i think they have one for earch year starting with 03):

http://www.********.org/attach...=&postid=30258

When I bought my 2005 4Runner the new TSB (at the time) dictated a replacements of the cats......for OLDER cats.

Now it seems, peopel are supposed to get ECU reprogrammed and newly (re)designed cats....or maybe still old new cats.....not 100% sure............. in the TSB but there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer whether or not this fully solves the problem for everyone.

In short, they replace the cats but not b/c they're bad/clogged/burned out/etc.

Interestingly enough I've experienced the smell behing many different Toyotas and a few Lexus vehicles on the highway.

My 4Runner had the smell since day one probably, didn't notice till a few weeks went by. At the time there was no TSB. Waited a bit and one showed up, but by that time I had the dual tip, side exhaust Borla system - which pretty much mitigated any smell.

Today, after 60K miles I never notice it, every will all the windows down (and we both drive like this all the time in the summer). Back window is open only once in a blue moon-don't notice it either.

May be noticable under hard acceleration, but I don't drive witht he back window open (not b/c of smell, but the actuall gasses/etc).

Hope this sheds some light on this subject; well documented and discussed in other placeds.

...and it does get people angry when they buy a $30+ car/truck only to find out it smells like *** when they hit the gas.

cwm27.gif

PS:

Maybe our "toyota" memeber has a clear cut answer....

I have an 08 Sequoia and never noted any smell until the other day. frown.gif I'm on a few Sequoia user forums for the newer body style and many have mentioned this phenomena. Gas to gas quality sounds reasonable. Yes, I was jumping on it with the windows open. biggrin.gif The 5.7L has balls.

I've got a 2003 4Runner. I notice the smell from time to time, typically under hard acceleration. I haven't checked into the TSB, as I've heard conflicting reports about whether or not it does anything useful.

I have a 6 cylinder 2005 and only smell the sulfer on the rare occasion i have the back window down and really step on the gas.

On a side note my 1998 honda crx si warned about the sulfer smell and the sunroof being open in the owners manual.

Seems to me every Toyota I've ever gotten behind in traffic, when they romp on it, you smell sulphur. I don't think anything's wrong.

I bought an MR2 new in 1985 and remember it did it too.

My Maxima reeks sometimes when I get home. I always attributed it to a bad/old CC. My car is a 2000 with a surprising 175,000 miles.

Don't know if that helps.