Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Triet

Penn Spinfisher

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

And what does that mean for the 2003 catalog?Better stock up on 704's and 706's if you like them while you can, they cant make enough on them anymore, the trend is away from simplicity and "old technology".

It's the end of an era. I'm hoping that parts will stay available for awhile. As far as I'm concerned the spinfisher series are some of the best reels ever made. Not saying that they're smooth and sophisticated like some of the stuff on the market today, but they are relatively inexpensive, easy to maintain or fix, and best of all they are durable. Oh, and did I mention AMERICAN made?

I know a lot of guys have negative things to say about these simple reels, but I have my doubts that many of the new multi-bearing composite wonder reels will live for as long as my old Penns.

Valentine

I know a lot of guys have negative things to say about these simple reels, but I have my doubts that many of the new multi-bearing composite wonder reels will live for as long as my old Penns.

They won't, but damn if it isn't a lovely ride.

JC

P.S. I am not dissing the z-series reels. I am a staunch supporter of the 710z reel and own 4 of them. My biggest fish (48" est 42#+) beleive it or not, came on a tica camry 3500 however. The conditions were in my favor for this bout.

JC

And what does that mean for the 2003 catalog?Better stock up on 704's and 706's if you like them while you can, they cant make enough on them anymore, the trend is away from simplicity and "old technology".

That's one reason---the other is, they can't make enough after the sale in replacement parts wink.gif

After all---what manufacturer in the year 2003 would want to sell a product at a thin profit in the first place, and have that product need about $5 worth of parts for the next 20 years cwm27.gif

I think I'm pretty well set with 4 704s and 2 706s. Maybe I'll pick up another of each to put aside for the kids.