Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rumble Fish aka Poppy

For those who trek the beach...

Rate this topic

156 posts in this topic

There but for the Grace of God go I...

Sometimes fear of the ocean is for a reason...

I'll be the first to admit I've taken some chances in my day out there... Found out what a full moon spring tide was the hard way...ocean ran down the beach behind me...before I knew it I was on an island...lucky I made it up to the dunes.

Good to seeya Poppy...hang in there Pal...this is your Spring comin up! God knows you deserve her...

------------------

Gil

striper1.gif

http://www.magpage.com/~gil/beach.html

gil@magpage.com

[This message has been edited by Gil (edited 01-30-2001).]

I love the top picture. Instead of helping, the 2 guys in the background are taking pictures. That picture gets me rolling everytime I see it. Do you think the Driver was looking for a spot and said to his buddy, "Hey Joe, there's a spot right next to that Dodge Pickup!" biggrin.gif

I believe that this is the pond at the point in HATTERAS I have been going down there for a long time and this is almost common to see. If you look at the water on the beach from a truck it looks like it is just a puddle until you try to drive threw it and loose your truck . I could never understand why a guy would wont to run his truck threw a puddle of salt water but they do it all the time. I think it is probably those tv commercials you see when a guy is out on the beach and he is running down the surf line spraying water and livin it up. What they dont tell ya is when the truck is done with the commercial it goes right to the junk yard. Seems nuts to me but they do it all the time. WILD PIC'S SEE YA' "SWISS"

Rich Swiss nailed it....the suburban was sunk in the Pond. The guy was trying to spray water up by running his tires through the edge of the surf- as he approached the Pond he tried it there too. I guess he didn't know how it dropped off- hence the trouble he got in.

The toppled over truck had a camper on it- as seen in the background- they were parked high and dry until the wind shifted on the Point. Before they could be woke up it was too late the tide came in and the waves pounded and flipped the truck over.

The other picture was on N. Beach between OI and Avon...if I remeber Xpierats report correctly. As he said..."there are some places you only go at low tide."

Sad situations for all those involved. frown.gif

B. Myers

The middle picture looks like a classic--either he never noticed the drop-off, or thought that a Grand Cherokee could handle crossing it, or he got too close to the edge and the base of the wash-out gave way.

I wouldn't be too hard on the guys taking pictures of the drowned truck--other than rescuing the beach chairs, ain't much they can do to help wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 01-31-2001).]