Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
browndrake

St. Croix Tidemaster TS80HF?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I was gonna pick up the St. Croix Tidemaster TS80HF as a surf fluking rod. Its an 8footer rated at 1/2 - 2 oz. Do any of you guys have experience with these rods, and do you use them for fluking from the surf. I took a look at it recently but wasn't sure if it was gonna be too stiff for the flatties. The other model is the TS80MF, an 8footer rated at 1/4 -3/4 and is another option in that series. Presently my plugging rods are just too big to have any fun with these fish. Plus the sensitivity is lacking a bit. Any thoughts or other rod suggestions.

Thanks

Ant

I have pretty high mileage on that model, using it mostly for 3/8 (which it tosses just fine) on up to 1 1/2 ounces, but mostly for tossing light stuff in the quieter backwaters. It's no rod for big fish in heavy current, but there's not much to dislike about the TS80HF used in the right conditions. It's a good choice; go for it smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 07-19-2002).]

My wife, Joyce, has one with a Daiwa BG20 reel and Stren magna-thin in 20#. Also, our grown Maine daughter, Sue. Everybody likes it and I have used it for kicks. I would recommend it. Nice stick.

Bill, Frank thanks for the advice. :thr: It's tough to judge a rod just by feel off the rack in the store. And nothings worse then shelling out the bucks, then finding out later its not what you expected.

Ant

BTW Frank I hope you and your wife are recuperating.

Ant, I meant to post earlier. I have that rod and it is a nice rod. Will handle any fluke easily. I use mine with a shimano stradic 4000 and 30lb whiplash.

It is a little stiff on the light lures like a 1/2 oz. I wouldn't say it loads on a cast very well for lures under an oz. but it is light and has plenty of backbone for flukin'.

It's a good value. I'll be using it tomorrow.

Jim, sounds good. Im gonna pick it up tonight for an outing tomorrow at the Hook. I think my pops is gonna be joining me. It'll be the first time I have been able to convince him to join me in the surf. Im gonna drag his butt out to N. Beach. smile.gif It should be a good day.

Ant

At the tackle shop where I work St. Croix is the rod we carry. One of the guys who works with me uses that rod for snook, and tarpon, he's landed tarpon over 100 lbs. on it. (he was using a crab.) So IMO it's a pretty tough rod. I would recomend it to anyone.

Luis T

I have both rods although the 80H is a casting rod, which I have paired with a 400 Calcutta. The 80m I have a stradic 4000 on and was my light back bay plugging rod. I'd go with the 80H as it has a little more backbone. Will toss the 1/2 ounce stuff just OK, everything from 3/4 on up will be fine. The 80 M is a little too light for most applications, and I have pretty much retired it and replaced it with a Lami, XS 81 ms, which by the way I would reccommend over either of the Tidemasters. The St Croix rods are good choices (I own 4), but I love that Lami, best of both worlds, throws the light stuff and has more backbone than the Tidemasters (more $$ though). If you go with the Tidemaster I reccommend you seal the cork grips with cork sealer, I didn't and after 3 or 4 years the cork is getting crumbly on 2 rods that are / were very heavily fished, but cleaned and maintained well, haven't had that problem with some other rods I own, so I have to question the St. Croix cork. I have a 7.5 foot Tidemaster that I've had to re-glue the cork grips and they are ready for replacement (4-years old)

and brittle cracked and loose.

Remarks about St Croix stiffness follow with my experience. My other St Croix is a 10 wgt fly rod and it too does not load well. I deliberately add one weight to the fly line to enhance the loading. use an 11 for the 10 and it helps. St Croix markets a clean, high workmanship product for a very reasonable price and their gaurantee meets every test.

As for the cork going bad, I have no idea why that happens. Could it be that degrading cork comes from too much sun drying it out? J's pole is always in the celler and only goes out at night, riding inside the car when it does. Also, it is but one rod in the arsenal and is also a short-timer. Can't disagree with anything said here thus.

Well I tested it out this morning with a bunch of blues and some small fluke. It did exactly what I was looking for it to. Thanks for the opinions guys icon14.gif It tossed 1oz bucktails, and 3/4 oz lead and plastics perfectly. Just what the doctor ordered for some light action. It really didn't get the fluke workout I anticipated though. Maybe I'll find some heavier fluke action tomorrow morning.

SrFSHR I'll give the sealant a try thanks for the heads up.

Thanks again

Ant