Fly Casting Lessons on LI

Rate this topic

applecore

View PostNot sure if they still do it, but when I was a kid, my grandfather signed me up for a fly fishing clinic at Connetquot Park. It was great. They taught you all the basics and there was plenty of room to spread out and get your cast on.

biggrin.gif

I think you are probably talking about the fly fishing clinics put on by Trout Unlimited every year. They are held at Connetquot River State Park and Caleb Smith State Park, usually in the month of March. These are just one day clinics designed to get your feet wet. They're not really fly casting lessons. I know there was a fly fishing school at Caleb Smith State Park, so that might be worth a shot.

View PostI think you are probably talking about the fly fishing clinics put on by Trout Unlimited every year. They are held at Connetquot River State Park and Caleb Smith State Park, usually in the month of March. These are just one day clinics designed to get your feet wet. They're not really fly casting lessons. I know there was a fly fishing school at Caleb Smith State Park, so that might be worth a shot.

True.. For casting lessons you'll probably have to go private. Or just go YouTube! biggrin.gif

Former LIBBA #1818

I used to do them (for free), but that was before my kids' soccer took over my life. cwm31.gif

You might want to contact Sedotti (No Bull S). I think he's up in CT, but gives lessons in NYC once in a while. But I am sure he is out in MTK more these days and you might connect with him either out there or on the way.

He's the best caster I have personally seen in action, I took a lesson from him years ago.

View PostI used to do them (for free), but that was before my kids' soccer took over my life. cwm31.gif

You might want to contact Sedotti (No Bull S). I think he's up in CT, but gives lessons in NYC once in a while. But I am sure he is out in MTK more these days and you might connect with him either out there or on the way.

He's the best caster I have personally seen in action, I took a lesson from him years ago.

Guess you haven't seen Lefty!biggrin.gif

View PostCan anyone recommend a good instructor?

Long Island Fly Rodders has an instructor who will teach you for free. They meet on 1st Tuesday of every month in Hicksville. Fly casting instructions are given before each meeting. PM and i'll give you more info.

James

Active Member: Kayak Fishing Association of New York

Meets the second Tuesday of the month at the Indian Island Golf course club house, in Riverhead. Dan Eng, FFA Certified, teaches before all the daylight savings time meetings. These lessons are free to members of the club, $40 a year. Having a Restaurant and bar at the meeting place is convenient.

Peace

Frank II --- If anyone needs me, I'll be in my MAN CAVE, rotating the laundry. - C.C.A. - American Littoral Society Tagger w/ 61 returns - Vietnam Veteran U. S. Army,  Grand Pa of 6

View PostLong Island Fly Rodders has an instructor who will teach you for free. They meet on 1st Tuesday of every month in Hicksville. Fly casting instructions are given before each meeting. PM and i'll give you more info.

James

View PostMeets the second Tuesday of the month at the Indian Island Golf course club house, in Riverhead. Dan Eng, FFA Certified, teaches before all the daylight savings time meetings. These lessons are free to members of the club, $40 a year. Having a Restaurant and bar at the meeting place is convenient.

Peace

View PostWhat part of the Island are you from??

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll be back on the Island on Tuesday and will look into these clubs.

I'm currently living in Smithtown.

• 9 years later...

I am looking for someone on the North Fork - recovering from an auto accident, so I can't travel too much ...

Thanks all

Morone Saxatilis... God put them in the Surf to take them, not in the freaking boat!