Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tumbleweed

engine dumping gas

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Took the boat out today and it was running great. Went from Portland up Casco Bay to Harpswell and back to Yarmouth no problems. I stopped at the gas dock in the Royal River to top off the tank and when I went to start the boat up again I got nothing. Turns over but won't go. Then I notice that there is gas leaking out of the motor after the last attempt at starting it. I had to leave the boat at the dock in Yarmouth and will drive my trailer up tomorow to pick it up. I checked all the lines and they look okay. Does this sound like maybe the float is stuck in one of the carbs causing it to dump gas?

Agree with Bill. Also, floats usually stick from lack of use (long term like over the winter). Very unlikely it would stick while you were operationg the boat.

Fuel is probably not getting to engine prior to the carb.

Could be a ton of things.

Not much description of the engine.

Did you check to see if you have spark?

Couldbe as simple as a fuse to the ignition side. Choke stuck closed, Failed relief if injected.... all sorts of stuff.

"Gas leaking" is that after turning it over to try and start, or was it noticable before turning the engine over?

First thing I'd verify is spark. (Unless the gas just pores out without turning engine over)

I know, that's not much help. But without some specifics, all is a shot in the dark looking for a Boogie man.

When you go to get it, try starting it again in your normal fashion.

It's a 1989 Mercury 115. There is spark and the engine will turn over. The gas leaked out after turning the ignition yesterday. When I went over there this morning to get it I primed it with the engine tilted up and gas came out without turning the key. Also the bulb would not stay hard after priming.

Could be a piece of junk broke off the hose and got caught on the seat of the float valve. Had that happen to my 200HP 99 Johnny a few years after I had it. It looked like a sliver of hose cut with a razor knife. Noticed it when I squeezed the ball with the lid off to start it in the driveway as part of generic maintenance. Gas poured our of the carb overflow port. Should be able to find your problem the same way.

although it does sound like gunk in it, because it just started out of nowhere, but a easy test to see if it is just stuck. Take the back-end of a screw driver(make it meety, not like a 2" small one) and give the carb a good 2-3 wacks on a nice meaty area(not the bowl). If this fixes it, it may have been stuck. If not, sounds like it's gunk.