Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gaff & Release

Whats the latest month you catch bass?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

My fall fishing usually comes to an end around Christmas id say. I was just curious what is the latest you still catch bass...and on what?

------------------

All work and no plug makes Striper head a dull boy.

Mid January....some years.The swimming plug teaser combo,slowed down a bit,with sandeel pattern teasers works well...if their are fish to catch.Last year it was the 2nd week of decemberfrown.gif.I hope we get another long season

Same as Rick. It depends on the year. Last year mid december the year before mid January. Night fishing sometimes is painful come January in the cold. But they will stick around until the water is somewhere around 45 ish degrees. Calm water late season helps a bit too.

Depending on the weather patterns, if it's a long hot summer with the prolonged Indian summer that we had a few years ago you can catch stripers well into January. Like mentioned above, plugs and teasers with a SLOW retreive will do the trick.biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Normally, the action on LI dies around the second week of December. You can pick fish later into the month in some of the deep holes adjacent to some of the bridges, on bait or bucktails.

In winter, you have the power plant holdovers but I don't count those.

Last year, December 14 on a boat between Sandy Hook and Breezy, we caught Bass after Bass - all short. The 2 weeks before that they were up to 15 pounds. All on diamond jigs worked along the bottom. Best part was they had a heater in the cabin!!

Billy

it's been said before if the migration comes by the shoreline.. Easily into January.. Biggest Bass Blitz I ever witnessed was in mid December at the hook.. Oh if I only knew then what I know now!! Sorry, I was at the beginning of my fishing career at that point.. hahaha.. Damn! But it does have to do with migration pattern, bait, and water temp...

ErikT

Last year was in December just days before Christmas. Year before that was same and I think in 1998 I had one the first couple days of Jan. I remember the one in January of 1998, becuase I could see them following the plug back to the jetty, then eventually I slowed down the retrieve enough and twitched it a few times and he took it. The fish was only about 15 inches long at best. Now that I think of it, Last year I was shopping for a specific plug for my brother-inlaw and as I came over the highlands bridge I noticed a giant swarm of birds working off the Hook. It was December 23rd. There wasn't one boat working them, but they were definitly there.

You can catch 'em all winter in CT (Housatonic River & Norwich for example) and on the North Shore of Long Island (LIPA plant in Northport).

Don't forget that NC has 'em right offshore all winter too...big ones too.

Last fish I cot in Montauk was early-December, many years ago.

-FWW

There are definitely fish that spend their Winter in LI Sound.

Usually I pack it up in November, but some years give me a day in December to fish. Sometimes I catch in December, sometimes no.

January and February the air is just too cold for me to fish, unless I'm in the tropics.

But I have no doubt the fish are there, even if they eat less often. Big fish follow the bait South.

But when March comes, I ALWAYS catch.

No LARGE that month, just schoolies.

They often come up on a Flounder hook!

Bucktailing eliminates the Flounder.

(Oh no! What did I say?)

Flounder