where to invest now?

Rate this topic

dogboy

Last week travel was hot. Symbol (TA) wink.gif

Fed is going to do another stress test on banks in a double dip scenario, I'd bet because the fed knows that another one is going to happen at some point when the days of QE are long gone. When the fed feels that the banks can withstand it, then watch for it as all this QE is about saving the financials.

CC

Buy silver / buy wheat? headscratch.gif

http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/201...o-fix-drought/

China's long, dry winter was broken by scatted snowfall across several breadbasket provinces on Thursday-much to the joy of policymakers, as well as snowball-throwing children every where.

The drought this winter has raised concerns about the wheat crop in some quarters including the UN. China's top policy body, the State Council, was summoned to discuss crop policies by Premier Wen Jiabao on Wednesday, and subsequently more than $1bn in crop subsidies and drought relief was announced.

But China is also deploying a proverbial "silver bullet" to fight the drought: large-scale cloud seeding that will augment natural snowfall.

According to official media, China's air force showered silver oxide over 149,900 sq km on Wednesday evening and Thursday morning, boosting the formation of clouds during a cold front.

The resulting shower was light-just a couple of millimetres of snow.

But the technique is one that China's air force seems increasingly fond of, after using similar methods to keep clouds at bay during the Beijing Olympics. China employs more than 37,000 rainmakers, people involved with weather modification programs, and the meteorological bureau sets annual goals for how much rainfall should increase.

Cloud seeding works by encouraging moist air to turn into rain, often by sowing silver iodide crystals into moist air to speed up the creation of raindrops (or snowflakes, in this case). China's cloud-seeding projects this week involved more 2,197 rockets and 6,448 artillery shells, according to state media.

Scientists say the jury is still out on whether cloud seeding really does create additional rainfall. But, it seems, people are still willing to devote a lot of resources to rainmaking in drought-prone areas, even when results are debatable.

For the Beijingers busy celebrating the first snowfall of the season (after 108 days with no moisture), the evidence seems undeniable. And for China's leaders the timing of the snowfall is extremely convenient, arriving as it does just after Mr Wen's remarks. But China is chronically short of water in the long term-a problem that may take more than a few silver iodide crystals to solve.

CC

View PostA lot of people forget investing is like a coin, it has 2 sides. If you think the markets are over-bought and your having a hard time finding something you think will do good then do the obvious thing most people forget. Look for what will do bad and short it..... You don't need markets to be rising to make money.

Just a thought a lot of people forget.

John

<gasp> Betting on a company to fail. That's horrible. Un-american. You bastage. (throws tomato's)

smile.gif

#otterlivesmatter

View PostLOL. I look forward to bumping this thread a year from now. DO enjoy the quick moves in your day trading though. Lot of money to be made there if you're lucky.

i'm not a day trader.

You can bump threads all you want.

But you won't bump any threads where I was correct?

Explain to me how the hedge is working.

If you bot Gold in September - you are breaking even today.

If you bot Gold Bullion or "melt" in September you are holding a loss.

Tell me why I'm wrong?

Originally Posted by copycat

View Post

China's long, dry winter was broken by scatted snowfall across several breadbasket provinces on Thursday-much to the joy of policymakers, as well as snowball-throwing children every where.

The drought this winter has raised concerns about the wheat crop in some quarters including the UN. China's top policy body, the State Council, was summoned to discuss crop policies by Premier Wen Jiabao on Wednesday, and subsequently more than $1bn in crop subsidies and drought relief was announced.

But China is also deploying a proverbial "silver bullet" to fight the drought: large-scale cloud seeding that will augment natural snowfall.

According to official media, China's air force showered silver oxide over 149,900 sq km on Wednesday evening and Thursday morning, boosting the formation of clouds during a cold front.

The resulting shower was light-just a couple of millimetres of snow.

But the technique is one that China's air force seems increasingly fond of, after using similar methods to keep clouds at bay during the Beijing Olympics. China employs more than 37,000 rainmakers, people involved with weather modification programs, and the meteorological bureau sets annual goals for how much rainfall should increase.

Cloud seeding works by encouraging moist air to turn into rain, often by sowing silver iodide crystals into moist air to speed up the creation of raindrops (or snowflakes, in this case). China's cloud-seeding projects this week involved more 2,197 rockets and 6,448 artillery shells, according to state media.

Scientists say the jury is still out on whether cloud seeding really does create additional rainfall. But, it seems, people are still willing to devote a lot of resources to rainmaking in drought-prone areas, even when results are debatable.

For the Beijingers busy celebrating the first snowfall of the season (after 108 days with no moisture), the evidence seems undeniable. And for China's leaders the timing of the snowfall is extremely convenient, arriving as it does just after Mr Wen's remarks. But China is chronically short of water in the long term-a problem that may take more than a few silver iodide crystals to solve.

short term, im picking up zsl. way overbought if you ask me.

Originally Posted by copycat

View Post

But the technique [cloud seeding] is one that China's air force seems increasingly fond of, after using similar methods to keep clouds at bay during the Beijing Olympics. China employs more than 37,000 rainmakers, people involved with weather modification programs, and the meteorological bureau sets annual goals for how much rainfall should increase.

Ah, reminds me of the 50's and 60's in so many ways, and I wasn't even alive then. Is it legal to buy stocks, even if Chinese, in Chinese military suppliers (nationals, not US companies that may supply)? Their equivalent of Boeing, General Dynamics, Lockheed, McDonnel-Douglas, Martin-Murietta, etc.? Just curious, but also, how's that for an un-American question? headscratch.gif

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals.

View Postzsl right now is like tza, faz etc....ETFs that are subject to serious decay in a bull run, don't get stuck. You will be going against the strongest fed policy in the past 70+ years.

yea, they all blow. im waiting for someone to start a fund and short every leveraged etfs out there after a reverse split.

Pretty graph, really it is icon14.gif I'm not being sarcastic (damn internet)

Since the 2000, gold's been fantastic, but I still don't see how buying gold in 1985 made more money for you than just putting it in the bank and gaining interest. OK, maybe it did a little better, but a good stock or real estate would have gained more. I think, but maybe wrong. No graphs.

View PostPretty graph, really it is icon14.gif I'm not being sarcastic (damn internet)

Since the 2000, gold's been fantastic, but I still don't see how buying gold in 1985 made more money for you than just putting it in the bank and gaining interest. OK, maybe it did a little better, but a good stock or real estate would have gained more. I think, but maybe wrong. No graphs.

gold isn't an investment.

it's hard money and, in an era of a massively inflating money supply, it is a means to preserve your purchasing power in a tangible and portable medium.

View Postgold isn't an investment.

it's hard money and, in an era of a massively inflating money supply, it is a means to preserve your purchasing power in a tangible and portable medium.

View Post ... it's a short-term buy or doomsday preparation.

I think we're kind of agreeing. headscratch.gif Now that I think about it, I need some gold. And Chinese investments, a shovel, tarp, ammo, and braided fishing line... beatin.gif

View Postgold isn't an investment.

Here'e the problem weewee:

Gold is traditional path is broken.

it's no longer a hedge.

You have too many rubes trying to buy into the "gain" exactly like real-estate and exactly like .com...

That keeps me out of it at these levels.

The last 6 months formed the crest of a wave.. .and it could be devastating.

View PostHere'e the problem weewee:

Gold is traditional path is broken.

it's no longer a hedge.

You have too many rubes trying to buy into the "gain" exactly like real-estate and exactly like .com...

That keeps me out of it at these levels.

The last 6 months formed the crest of a wave.. .and it could be devastating.

It is still a hedge, and you have too many people (the common folks) selling their gold as fast as they can to the "We Buy Gold" billboard advertisers for FRNs because the illusion created that they are gaining / making money when in reality they are getting a note that has in no shape or form a constant value, unless of coarse you believe in that silly little # value printed on them, lol

There may very well come the day when gold takes the hit but only in a deflationary scenario, but who cares as just about everything would be cheaper, gold will always have a constant "value" unlike fiats/FRNs wink.gif

You know the argument SG. biggrin.gif

CC

View PostIt is still a hedge, and you have too many people (the common folks) selling their gold as fast as they can to the "We Buy Gold" billboard advertisers for FRNs because the illusion created that they are gaining / making money when in reality they are getting a note that has in no shape or form a constant value, unless of coarse you believe in that silly little # value printed on them, lol

There may very well come the day when gold takes the hit but only in a deflationary scenario, but who cares as just about everything would be cheaper, gold will always have a constant "value" unlike fiats/FRNs wink.gif

You know the argument SG. biggrin.gif

true - but i'm seeing a lot of odd-lots "emphatically" telling me the sky is pink and the grass is blue.

I don't buy spikes - I learned my lesson.