where to invest now?

Rate this topic

dogboy

View PostThat's what they said in 1980. They been waitin' 30 years to break even. cwm27.gif

PriceChart1.jpg

Ask yourself these questions:

Where were interest rates at in 1980 and why were they at that level?

Where are interest rates at today?

What is the 3-5 year outlook for the dollar? wink.gif

CC

Guess it depends on your thought process. I'm with this guy from a Bloomberg article 4 days ago. I think gold at $1000 is a selling opportunity.

Decline by Year-End

Gold prices may reach a short-term peak of $1,050 and retreat to the "mid-$700s" by year-end, said Miguel Perez- Santalla, a Heraeus Precious Metals Management sales vice president in New York. "I am a bear" on gold, he said.

"Even though the U.S. dollar continues to be weak against the euro, gold is considered overall by the market to be overdone at the higher price level," Perez-Santalla said. "I won't put my money into gold, and I know many traders and their families that are rummaging their jewelry looking for scrap to sell to take advantage of these high prices."

View Postif the dollar goes down the drain, what does anybody here consider a prudent investment to make before it does

Generally gold, foreign currency or diversfied pool of commodities are recommended.

Considering the current valuations of gold and some commodities, some forms of unhedged international equities deserve consideration.

View PostGuess it depends on your thought process. I'm with this guy from a Bloomberg article 4 days ago. I think gold at $1000 is a selling opportunity.

Decline by Year-End

Gold prices may reach a short-term peak of $1,050 and retreat to the "mid-$700s" by year-end, said Miguel Perez- Santalla, a Heraeus Precious Metals Management sales vice president in New York. "I am a bear" on gold, he said.

"Even though the U.S. dollar continues to be weak against the euro, gold is considered overall by the market to be overdone at the higher price level," Perez-Santalla said. "I won't put my money into gold, and I know many traders and their families that are rummaging their jewelry looking for scrap to sell to take advantage of these high prices."

You mean this guy? Who said gold peaked back in May at $900 and would loose another $200 per oz in an interview with Mike Norman, who IMO is no genius. Short term, end of year he may be correct but long term, no, I don't think so. For the record Mike Norman hates gold, always has...

http://www.hardassetsinvestor.com/fe...-200ounce.html

CC

View PostI have some Chrysler stock, I suppose thats wallpaper now, glad I sold half of it a couple of yrs ago. Bought it when it was $6 shr.

i entered a buy order for ford at $4.99

it was $5.19 when the order finally went through

so far, i topped out at about 60% return, now about 40%

maybe i should bail out while i am ahead

View PostGenerally gold, foreign currency or diversfied pool of commodities are recommended.

Considering the current valuations of gold and some commodities, some forms of unhedged international equities deserve consideration.

about 20% of my IRA is in a "world markets/emerging markets" fund, so i guess i have that one covered

i don't know what "unhedged" means, to be honest

well before things went south, i asked a wall st type who made a ton of money (and may be one of the guys who caused things to fall apart) about buying foreign currency

his advise was that whatever i might choose, if it got too far out of sych with the USD, then adjustments would be made that would result in limiting my return- interest rate hikes or whatever

i do have to say that this guy lost his shirt (and a whole lot more) over the last two years, but he was dealing in in some pretty exotic stuff that i won't pretend to know anything about

BTW- my ex FIL was career USAF, and i guess he was able to buy gold (coins and 24 karat jewelry)

he was standing in line waiting his turn to sell the gold he had collected over the years the last time the price spiked when he was approached by someone with cash in hand whom he sold it to on the spot-

about two weeks later the market went south big time- he made a killing because some of it cost him the official rate of $34 an ounce and he got around $700

he has done okay with that kind of stuff, whether it is antique radios or old bottles, he seems to have a sense of when to dump the pedestrian stuff and hang on to the real goods for another day

View PostI have some Chrysler stock, I suppose thats wallpaper now, glad I sold half of it a couple of yrs ago. Bought it when it was $6 shr.

Its a good time to sell Gold, not buy.

1. chrysler stock, really? it was bought out by cerberus a few years ago. cerberus' stake went to zero this year.

2. good time to sell gold, huh? you guys look at gold appreciating, when what you should be thinking about is the flip side ... the dollar depreciating.

gold isn't worth more.

the dollar is worth less.

View Post1. chrysler stock, really? it was bought out by cerberus a few years ago. cerberus' stake went to zero this year.

2. good time to sell gold, huh? you guys look at gold appreciating, when what you should be thinking about is the flip side ... the dollar depreciating.

gold isn't worth more.

the dollar is worth less.

Yep, the price of gold is simply a vital sign of the dollar. With all the debt and printing how will the dollar go up anytime soon? Look at the dollar index, it has been on a steady decline since 01 and is worth less than any other time. What caused this to happen has recently been excellerated.

CC

• 1 year later...

Its a good time to sell Gold, not buy.

LOL LOL LOL @ this thread.

How are all you financial guru's doing with your stocks?

My gold and silver is doing quite nicely for me cwm27.gif

I'm still buying metals.... anyone want to chime in here so I can say "I told you so" another year form now?