where to invest now?

Rate this topic

dogboy

if the dollar goes down the drain, what does anybody here consider a prudent investment to make before it does

my (modest) short term portfolio is up between 35 and 40% these days

but what about IRA and nest egg investments?

shotgun shells?

gold at $1,000 an ounce?

commodity futures?

anybody got any ideas?

natural gas,

ung, cymgf

gold will pull back: gdx in mid hi 30's

you can take the elevator from the 80th to the 100th floor for the last blow off rally but get out when the getting is (really)good.

30-40% is great btw.

View Postif the dollar goes down the drain, what does anybody here consider a prudent investment to make before it does

my (modest) short term portfolio is up between 35 and 40% these days

but what about IRA and nest egg investments?

shotgun shells?

gold at $1,000 an ounce?

commodity futures?

anybody got any ideas?

3rd & 4th quarter earnings will not be good for equities IMHO--- Precious metals are topping out--- Oil is at Contango ( spot oil cheaper than future delivery date price)---Real estate had a Dead Cat Bounce and many feel it has another 25% to drop---Commercial real estate implosion on the horizon----Mortgage and credit default rates are shocking----Unemployment rate keeps rising, albeit more slowly---Personal savings rising, consumer spending is declining.

Our economy is built on a foundation of consumer spending/debt. Thats come to an abrupt halt in the last year. I wouldn't tie my money up in any long term instruments. Stay loose.

You're getting sleepy. ....very sleepy.....

believe it or not, the stock market.

a weak dollar favors stocks.

people will be getting killed in bonds.

money printing means the smart gamers will be pouring into risky asset classes, such as stocks and bonds. this doesn't mean fundamentally that stocks should be going up (on earnings, for example, which won't be as great as people are expecting).

if you like commodity exposure, then think of oil exploration and metals and mining stocks, for example.

of course, this will all blow up again at some point (thanks, Mr. Bernwankee).

Me? I went long the stock market in March, got out in May-ish. Since the stock market is all about money flows and psychology (appetite for risk), beware, it's going to be very volatile, made more volatile by our fed.gov. A buy and hold strategy ... is dead in my opinion. It's a trader's market.

I'm long physical gold and silver, commodity ETF's (like DBA, USO). I'm taking a nice close look at natural gas (UNG). Everybody says natural gas is going to zero (hello!). If you look at the upside downside risk reward profile for natural gas ... well, it's interesting. And there are other ideas (but I'll shut up). A lot of stuff has been bid up since the beginning of the Crunch last fall, I'd steer clear of a lot of it.

I recently read a very interesting article on Muni-bonds. Default rate is less than 1% and the interest is tax free. You can get them now at 6-7% and that would be the equivalent of 10-11% taxed. I haven't done it but I am going to look into more. Maybe somebody in here is more familiar with them and can shed some light on this.