Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kayakkrazy

Popping Corks/DOA

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Used to use them a lot down in Florida. The places I haunted for reds, trout and flounder were so full of oyster beds you had to have some way of keeping the plastics off the bottom. We pegged them for the proper depth, made it real simple to fish and not lose a lot of baits. I've often thought about using them down in the barrier islands of Virginia when the flounder are in the shallows and real aggressive.

Sometimes with, sometimes without in SC low country for spottails. All depends what the fish like that day, how aggresively they're feeding and water depth. Doesn't take much with the cork on--just pop it enough to generate a small splash. To many folks haul off on it trying to create a geyser--scares the gentle monsters off.

They work great. It helps you get them off the bottom and the pop helps the fish find them. Also they help when casting them into the wind. I like the Glow - any time the ware is clean any time of the day or night and Rootbeer when the water is dark.

A couple of years ago I was using them in the Beaufort area backwaters with a live minnow underneath. It worked great, just let it drift past a nice looking area along a grassy cove or oyster bed, give it a pop or two and we hooked up just about each time. Caught reds, jacks even a ladyfish or two.

I'm gonna have to go back there some day. smile.gif