Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishingMates

Stren Magnathin comments?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hi all, in my never ending search for good finer mono I came a across Stren and was just wondering if I could get some comments on Stren Magnathin, good or bad. Also whether there is much difference between the crystal clear and walleye colors.

I am considering getting some and using it primarily in the surf here in Australia. I currently use Platypus Platinum 6kg (app 12lb) which has great knot strength, low memory (for mono) and doesn't get affected by the sand much.

Is the magnathin really only a leader material or would you recommend it as a mainline?

Expert Frank Daignault recommends Stren Magnathin. I find too stretchy. My current preference in mono is Sufix Tritanium Plus and - if I can't get that - Big Game. Sufix has two new lines that just came out I want to try - Elite and Siege. Siege apparently is more recommended for saltwarter use.

I've used Magnathin (Clear) on my 525mag and various spinning reels for about 5 years. On the mag its primarily for 4-5 oz lead + bait and it cast great. I use the 20lb. Maybe a little stretchy, but I don't mind. Good line, enables you to hold a bit more line. Good in plugging/eeling applications with the spinning setups as well.