Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Some thoughts on fishing and healing....

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

A terrorist's goal is to disrupt and change lives forever while instilling fear and doubt. As a nation, we are not afraid...disrupted, yes - but only temporarily. Changed? No doubt, but many of those changes could possibly be for the better.

I think it would be a great honor to those killed and a slap in the face to terrorism to move forward. I don't mean forgetting the events, but to not let those events run our lives.

In that, I would like to encourage anyone with fishing questions to please, don't feel un-patriotic in posting your questions. Fishing, to many of us, is a wonderful healing tool, to talk about it, to do it, or to just think about it. Please don't feel like you are disrespecting those who gave their lives by continuing on with yours. Do all you can to help those in need who were affected by these tragedies, never forget what happened on our shores, and make sure you keep yourself whole by taking the time to recharge your batteries - if that means fishing, then go. If it means planning a trip, then plan. If it means posting fishing questions here, then post away. We all shared in the hurt and the anger and will likely continue to do so for some time, but lets also not forget to share in the healing.

TimS

Thanks for the words of encouragement Tim! As you know, I'm heading to Montauk in a few days for an assault on the unicorns, and it's been tough to focus on lately...I am trying to focus on following through, but it's been difficult. A bend in the rod will certainly be great therapy....the kind of medicine on which you can never overdose! I sure hope the Dr is in!!! biggrin.gif

------------------

---- Facin' East, Reel Ranger ----

---- Member - Shark River Surf Anglers ----

Thanks Tim- I'm still feeling badly about sleeping in on Saturday and Sunday and not going up to the beach.

Some time in the surf would probably be the best thing for me... and probably for most of us.

[This message has been edited by CRegalis (edited 09-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by CRegalis (edited 09-19-2001).]

For me, the only time I have felt any true relief from all of this madness were the few hours I spent fishing this past Saturday and Sunday mornings.

JimK

Tim:

you have created a community here that I have depended on somewhat however I have been unable to to move on to thoughts that even approach fishing. I'm glad that you haven't shued us away to the Tavern or another forum. It would probably do to have the topics shift back though, if only for forced theraputic reasons. I will always appreciate the way you have allowed your site to indulge our sentiments, it'll never be forgotten.

HERE HERE!!!! Tim , no doubt that you are the man !! You are truly wise, in fact two buddies from the firecompany and I just decided this morning that we were goin'!! `Course it's gonna be tuesday, but we are goin!! I turned Big Cat Dave (he's the one w/the boat) on to the site this morning so maybe we got another guy. Anyway, thanks for the words , brew....See ya' on the beach!!!

JPL, I hear ya, being human myself wink.gif, I completely understand. The main point of this thread was to let people know that it's OK to want a diversion, it's ok to talk about fishing - it's ok to need a mental break from the visions of that which we've seen.

As much as I want to remember what happened and want to stay on top of the after effects, I just can't stand to see another video of the planes crashing, it breaks my heart to look at the heap of rubble remaining and know that, somewhere, buried in there, are nearly 5,000 human beings - and the chance are getting worse that they will find anyone left alive. I personally won't give up on survivors until the very last piece of rubble is removed - the human spirit is something that a collapsed building can't always contend with.

As always, folks are encouraged to post their thoughts here...and in that light, I wanted to let folks know that it's ok to think and talk about fishing should that be the therapy they need smile.gif

TimS

Well I`m tryin but its been real tough for me I`ve been at the scene for the last few days and let me tell you pictures, video or commentary do not touch the magnitude of this place...I can`t get motivated to even think of fishin and I`m tryin, I`m in for the Rhody fling even got a place but I ain`t excited bout it at all...But truer words haven`t been spoken we need to return to some sense of normalcy and not become victims ourselves.......I`m gonna get out....maybe I gotta buy something.....Hey Tim how`s the stock in the store on rhody stuff?????????????????????John

Johnny, stock is good on Rhody stuff - I guess, what exactly is Rhody stuff? wink.gif

Try to force yourself to look forward to the Fling Johnny, it'll help occupy your mind some - it won't be easy, but it should help smile.gif

TimS

JohnnySI,

I hear ya man, i did not see first hand what you saw but have spoken to those that have and i am glad i did not see it. if you come up to rhody fling anad still aint feelin right about fishin' i'll go drinkin with ya and maybe a couple adult beverages will take your mind off it a tad...

Guilt seems to be a determining factor. How do you go out and have a good time when so many people's lives have been lost. When so many families are devistated. Time will make this easier. Going to the suds (since we derive such great pleasure from it) is what will help us cope. Not only to fish but to share the experience with others...

thanx tim,it is still hard ta deal with as it hit hard in my house somewhat here.your words make snapping my rod in half again today on a fish a little better for me.each nite tho i look at mama and she at me and were still dismalled by it all still.

Gramps, you gotta lighten up on the drag mah friend!?!? cwm24.gif You snap waaay to many sticks! If you don't wanna loosen the drag, we gotta outfit you with some solid fiberglass type sticks - yer arms will pull off before them things snap cwm24.gif Ya need a nice composite rod maybe...nearly impossible to hurt them puppies either smile.gif

TimS

I think I'm getting closer to be able to go fishin again. It's still tough with no rebuttal yet.

Now if I can get away from workin these 6-10's. It's always the way, busy when you don't want it.

It's nice to open the board and start to see fishin topics again. It's been awhile.