Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krusty

Needlefish

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Just got home from work. It feels like fall out there tonight, I am really amped up for the chilly nights on the beach this year. I finally decided, after years of missing the boat, on fishing needlefish this year. I bought some sweet looking 1 1/2oz choopy needles from the online store. I am clueless on when and how to use them. I am sure this has been covered before. How do I use them, as far as when, where, and retrieve? I usually find myself on a flat beach with a half ass rock jetty here and there. Those of you that fish Jersey know the deal. I have been doing ok with a bomber/teaser set-up, but I get mostly small fish. How can I get the most out of the needles? I never fished them before. Thanks for any help.

Fish that plug very SLOW with a steady retrieve. Also, Tie a teaser on a 15 inch piece of mono attached to the same swivel that connects your main leader to the line. Early morning at dawn or in the evening. Great fall plug.

Most anglers use the needle fish to mimic thin profiled prey ie needle fish,sand eels,spearing,eels etc. I believe it's greatest attribute is in it's subtle action or in some cases lack there of rather than profile. In N.J.beaches and bays metal lipped swimmers are commonly used and considered deadly by most. The metal lip swimmers have the most radical commotion invoking action of the commonly used swimmers. Next I would say the mega baits then X Raps then yo zuri then red fins and lastly the bomber. These are just generalizations and opinions so don't feel obligated to correct me. Of these mentioned (I know I left some out) I feel in the dark bombers have had the most success,for me anyway. One would think in the dark, especially with the fishes limited vision,the swimmer that moves the most water or sends out the most vibration would attract the most fish. I feel now that the opposite is more likely. This is referring to water with little movement, not rips or heavy current area's. My best success overall has been with the slowest reteives and most subtle action lures availale. The needle fish fills this void.