Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
north-shore fisha

Nahant surfcaster swept into sea

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Apparently, a dozen people got washed out to sea watching the waves at Acadia Nat Pk. They rescued 9 of them (one kid was brought in non-responsive, condition unknown), the rest are missing.

-bd

Jeez that's awful.

Now I don't feel like such a chicken giving up on fishing the rocks I was on Friday night. It just started getting too violent looking. I nearly got swept off the sand later that night, nevermind the rocks.

Really hope that everyone pulls through.

Listen to your fears, they can be real.

Couple years ago in October I got really spooked on a RI jetty. Practically cried my way back to the truck. I really think I could have gotton killed. Then I read things like this...

After falling off a rock once too many, I now pick my perches very carefully. Simply not worth the risk. I'm beginning to think skishing may be safer overall (see RI forum thread). 40.gif

-bd

View PostListen to your fears, they can be real.

Couple years ago in October I got really spooked on a RI jetty. Practically cried my way back to the truck. I really think I could have gotton killed. Then I read things like this...

one of the reasons I fish out of a kayak in Nahant is landing fish ~ there really are not many safe places to land a fish if you hook up.

It gets real deep real fast so when the waves do stand up they can surprise you.

That and the whole rock point orientation is shifted on a 45 degree angle.

1 eye on the fish, 1 eye on your footing & 1 more to look out for that 7th rouge wave.

but still they come without korkers & sometimes without even a clue.

View Postone of the reasons I fish out of a kayak in Nahant is landing fish ~ there really are not many safe places to land a fish if you hook up.

It gets real deep real fast so when the waves do stand up they can surprise you.

That and the whole rock point orientation is shifted on a 45 degree angle.

1 eye on the fish, 1 eye on your footing & 1 more to look out for that 7th rouge wave.

but still they come without korkers & sometimes without even a clue.

I'm guilty of going out there with no korkers. Every winter I tell myself that I'm gonna go up to surfland and buy a pair before the spring, and every summer I curse myself for not following through.

View PostI'm guilty of going out there with no korkers. Every winter I tell myself that I'm gonna go up to surfland and buy a pair before the spring, and every summer I curse myself for not following through.

I have studded wading boots they are great on wet rocks, dry rocks can get slipper with studs why I have no idea.. The first day I tried them I took spill go down a set of rocks..

with out saying that when fishing around and on the Nahant Rock pile one must use common sense and keep saftey primary in your mind.

An inflatable vest would a good investment as suggested above.

L Dog astute observation you do not have a way up should you fall into the water is a fact. Only with the help of a sky hook could you survive.

Spent many a winter cod fishing along those rock piles and one slip almost cost me my life. I dislocated my shoulder and was rolling down into the foamy surf, when my younger brother placed his foot between my body and inches away from dropping into the water. It was a time to reflect and understand that safety some times does get subverted even when you are carefull