Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Cheseapeake Retrievers

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

I wuz flippin' through the Orvis hunting catalog t'other day, while the wife was shopping for a souvenir T-shirt .... lots of ads for dogs bred for upland or waterfowl hunting in their catalog, but not one of the kennels listed was offering Chesapeake retrievers. Is the breed out of fashion, and if so, why?

That's the impression I've gotten from a couple of doggie websites. The Orvis catalog was full of ads for Labs, shorthair pointers, Irish setters, and various spaniels; but not one Chessie breeder.

Bottom line, I suspect, is that the owners need training as much as the Chessie pups. Apparently this is a strong willed animal. I have no idea whether it's a better gun dog then a Lab for waterfowling, though I suspect it might be so.

What everyone else said. While they are supposedly the toughest of the retrievers, they are a bear to train. Single minded, and pig headed as all hell.

Frankly, I can't imagine any field trial lab, not being able to do anything a Chessie could do.wink.gif

Got a buddy who raises Chessies. They never seem to be overrun with pups, might even have a waiting list of buyers.

View PostFrankly, I can't imagine any field trial lab, not being able to do anything a Chessie could do.wink.gif

It's been a few years since I had my Chessie, and have never owned a field trail lab... But to my mind, you either love a Chessie or you admit defeat... smile.gif

They were - apparently - the breed of choice for market hunters, way back when. There are a lot more limitations on what you can shoot these days.

Long Island is awash, like many other places, with pseudo-domestic Canadas, and you'd want a strong dog to retrieve them, but the limit's probably just a couple of birds and any competent lab or golden should be more then enough dog.

Best dog i ever had & "Dory" was happy to grab your arse and tear you up !!

he loved running full speed at the tire, grabbed it and shoock the sh*t out of it and all the water in it would soak him, he just loved doing it, guess it reminded him of some of the dogs he tore up biggrin.gif

View PostThey were - apparently - the breed of choice for market hunters, way back when. There are a lot more limitations on what you can shoot these days.

Long Island is awash, like many other places, with pseudo-domestic Canadas, and you'd want a strong dog to retrieve them, but the limit's probably just a couple of birds and any competent lab or golden should be more then enough dog.

The limit on those in Jersey during the special September season is 15.

There's nothing a Lab can't or won't do if trained properly. Retrieving a limit of Canadas shouldn't be any more difficult than anything else. If anything, I'd worry that a Chessie would tire out way before a Lab in warm weather.

Could be so. I took a look through the NYS DEC website and was startled to see a six or eight goose limit in the LI zone in September - that's enough to fill a freezer with goose breasts (I doubt anything else is worth keeping) in a hurry, if you like the stuff. Never eaten a Canada, but I do like domestic goose.

Now, back to fly tying, to see if cul de goose is as useful as cul de canard. Can't see why it wouldn't be.

I have a Chessie,7 mos old...constant repitition with commands is a must! If not they'll just do whatever they feel like doing at the time.

AB...when its really hot and humid,they dont dig that too much.

You have to show them that you are the boss...not them.

When they want to play.....they play....hard,lots of crashing and banging around at a 100 mph.

Very territorial,I can see this already at 7 mos.

Hangs and plays well with other dogs if he wants to,if he doesnt,he just does his own thing.

Very intimidating bark!

At 5 mos,mine was swimming out in the breakers to get his ball & Frisbee and didnt miss a beat.Although he was kinda bored swimming in the lakeredface.gif

Tough,stubborn,hardheaded,extremely loveable and loyal.

Heres Chowder at 5 mos.....