Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FearlessMinnow

Surf/bait fishing essentials?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

What are you essentials when you go bait fishing either at the beach or from a pier?

I think the appropriate rod or reel is a given, I like a 9ft road rated for 2-4 ounces (although those ratings on the rods definitely feel different between manufacturers) but something that "feels" like it can handle 2-4 ounces without any doubt. For the reel I, if I'm using mono it's probably 20lb test and I want 250-300yrds worth of it on there.

In the past I would bring all my other tackle with me in a 5 gallon bucket. This would include plano boxes for my terminal tackle, a few lures just in case a blitz breaks out in front of me. My bait of the day would be somewhere in there along with a knife for cutting if need be. I'd have a hand towel. And a sand spike. Doesn't take long for that bucket to get heavy. If you have a long way to walk you'll be walking with your upper torso tilted to one side and that's bad for the back. I'm trying to find a nice and efficient cart to put all my stuff in so I can walk in an comfortable manner. Something that could carry a cooler for fish storage and has big wheels for versatile sand/grass travel would be nice. This is one I'm thinking of commercial link removed . please do not post links

I like to put a bell on the tip of my rod to alert me when I've got some pole bending going on b/c my eyes are usually distracted by other things or a book. I haven't found anything yet that alerts me in the middle of a nap sleep.gif

What do you guys do or bring that makes surf fishing more efficient and enjoyable?

I don't know about others but I like to bring a little something to snack on and something to drink oh yeah and this, it's easy on the eyes, gives you something to look at and you don't need a bell!smile.gif

Why don't you get some threaded rod and a couple of wheels and mount them right to your cooler? You can throw your stuff in the cooler on the way down you can put some rod holders on the cooler and modify it to your needs as you go along.