Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tommat

Looking for the BEST smallmouth bass lake in Upstate NY

19 posts in this topic

View PostMohawk River is alot closer and holds some killer SMB...

Chris

Grew up near the Mohawk and would agree. The smaller feeder rivers into the Mohawk are excellent as well.

Best as in #'s or size ? Or a combo of both? Champlain is a no brainer. Quality and numbers of both LM and SM.

Lake George is loaded with smallies 100 fish days are not hard to do at the right times during the year but the average size fish is much smaller.

With a little searching there are great smallmouth waters throughout the Adirondacks some better than others. As for my favorite, I ain't spillin!wink.gif I like the fact that it is overlooked as a "mediocre" bass lake. I is better known for its trout.

View PostGo Islanders is correct. If you are looking for someplace farther west in the Adirondacks, try Black Lake. Google "Black Lake NY Fishing" and read all about it.

Man I love this place been fihing it for about 10 years.

View PostOneida Lake

Awesome bass lake drool.gif

Drive by it on the way to Black Lake I want to give it a couple days next year. Can you recommend a place to stay?

I would say that I am looking for size and numbers with size more important. Not interested in catching a 100 ,12" fish, but a nice mess of 3lb+ fish would be nice...

Lots of good suggestions, but if you are going for size I'd go either Erie or Ontario in the springtime... Erie around Buffalo=lots of big springtime smallies.

Champlain is loaded with big smallies but I have a friend from Mass who moved to Pennsylvania right near Lake Erie. According to him it is the absolute best for numbers and monster size smallies. Especially in the spring. He is a touring semi pro bass angler who has had great success at the regional and country wide level for many years.