Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pogie_boy

What plug SHOULD I have had in my bag?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

So I fished a south facing beach this evening with the surf POUNDING on the highest tide of the month.

The sun goes down and I realize the only night-time plug I have in my bag is a blurple danny... everything else is yellow or some other lighter color or a pencil. I imagine the danny might have made it almost TO the breakers before the current swept it away east and then the waves washed it up on shore within moments. Every now and then I could get it caught in an undertow to stay out for at least a few minutes.

As I stood untangling a wind knot, I got to wondering what sort of plug I should have had for such a night. One of those black Pt Jude squids? A black Atom maybe?

I also fished a south facing beach last night but had to leave after being knocked around by waves I couldn't see coming and a strong undertow that was almost taking my feet out from under me.

But I did get a striper on my first cast using a 16a Bomber - Mother of Pearl.

I have been using alot of plastic swimmers this year with good results.

Mambo Minnow- olive gold

Cotton Cordell c-10 - Mother of Pearl (wonderbread)

Bomber 16a - chicken scratch

I fish with eels alot. I had half a dozen with me last night but the plastic swimmers have caught alot more fish for me recently.

PS: I don't find the lighter colors produce less, even on darkest nights

I only carry one black bomber... Every other color still works at night.. I always carry either a white or yellow darter and when I am lucky to fish the night they produce..

High surf at night, I'd tote a couple of bottle plugs, a couple of darters, a couple of tins (with teaser), some metal lips- surface and sub-surface and maybe a couple of loaded plastic swimmers- many people would also like bucktails but I'm not a big bucktailer so rarely carry them.

bucktails, needles and bottle plugs, darters depending on location. never be afraid to throw white or yellow or any other color for that matter just because it goes against the dark at night light during the day rule. ive caught more on yellow than any other color day or night. of course that may just be because yellow is always the color i start withcwm27.gif

View Postbucktails, needles and bottle plugs, darters depending on location. never be afraid to throw white or yellow or any other color for that matter just because it goes against the dark at night light during the day rule. ive caught more on yellow than any other color day or night. of course that may just be because yellow is always the color i start withcwm27.gif

Yup all of my plugs are yellow or white.. With maybe one blue bottle and one bunker color deep danny..

View PostSounds like Bucktails or heavy tins might be the way to go.

Sometimes the plugs need to rest.

Well that's not really the only thing to dowink.gif . One of the reason's there are so many builders of lures out there is because some fill needs that others don't. There are some good heavey castable lures that would have worked great under that scenario besides pencil poppers and needles, although they are good choices. Just don't buy into the hype online and look around at all the stuff out there there's still some old fashioned wood that's heavy enough for the job.

Armand

View PostWell that's not really the only thing to dowink.gif . One of the reason's there are so many builders of lures out there is because some fill needs that others don't. There are some good heavey castable lures that would have worked great under that scenario besides pencil poppers and needles, although they are good choices. Just don't buy into the hype online and look around at all the stuff out there there's still some old fashioned wood that's heavy enough for the job.

Armand

There may be but I assumed with the hurricane offshore that pogie_boy was talking about extreme conditions.

I learned a lesson years ago, number 3 son and I had been Eeling the Truro beaches one night. around daybreak the tide was down and we decided to head out to Race point to maybe catch a morning blitz.

The wind had picked up so that you had to lean into it and it was coming right on shore. Down past the campers around that first little point, where the commercial guys rake for sand Eels in there boat. there were 6 to 8 footers absolutely pounding the shore, it looked unfishable.

But there was a group of trucks there and some guys who were catching Large like they were schoolies in the fall. Most were throwing sand Eels on high low rigs but a couple were throwing heavy bucktails and doing some damage.

We were caught with a few Eels, some bombers and Mag Minnows. these would simply be blown back over your head. I did have a couple af light tins that I keep in the bag for full moon nights and they let us pick up a few of the smaller fish you could see streaking through the curl, but we missed a chance at the best fishing I had ever seen by not being prepared.

I never went fishing again without some heavy Bucktails in the bag. That morning you had to be out past the first wave and working the bottom to catch the good fish and I don't know of a plug that would do it.

You would be surprised how little attention I pay to online hype.wink.gif Just calling it like I see it.