Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
labrador 1

Plugs - why are they the way they are?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I've been playing with building a couple plugs and started wondering about plug shape - particularly wood plugs. I guess I am wondering if they are always round because that is the fastest way to produce them, or if they are round because of some functional reason. Seems to me most baitfish are oval - at least to some degree. Just wondering if anyone has built any wood plugs that vary from the traditional shapes. I'm thinking of putting together a pikie - type plug only very oval in shape. If it looks and swims good I'll post a picture.

You might get a better response to your question in the How To forum under lure building.

I am a novice at it but I'll venture a guess.....an oval shaped plug will float on its' side without enough weight from the hooks on the bottom side. With round, the hooks are probably enough.

You will no doubt have to counter weigh it to float correctly.

[This message has been edited by JayrR (edited 02-28-2003).]

[This message has been edited by JayrR (edited 02-28-2003).]

JayrR - I had the same thought, but figured adding a little weight wouldn't be too complicated - but since I've never done it, I shouldn't say.

I thought about posting in the plug forum, but figured I'd start here since some may have fished with oval shaped wood - even though they didn't build em.

lab, I've thought of it myself, though as you mentioned that only happens with the woodies. The hard plastic baits are more realistic in their shape. the reason wood plugs are round is easy of making them symetrical, since most are turned on lathes.

I have made a few, more fish shaped, but it takes a bit more work and the benefit is questionable. I would guess that any predator approaching a bait from below or down and to the side is going to see a larger profile when looking at a round plug with the same max diameter as an oval shaped on.

Functionally, an oval shaped plug is going to have the added variables of how thin it is in relation to how deep or tall. I would suggest the old plug-building standard of copying something else that works, first, then move on from there.

[This message has been edited by Oznavad (edited 02-28-2003).]

Oz knows...

I love his posts.. full of info from his years of searching for answers, trial and error... the man glows of wisdom...

hats off to you Oz... you are definately one of the magnificent 7 at SOL.

I'm no expert, but I think a 2x4 with a metal lip, hooks and an eye to attach your line would catch just as many fish then those nice ones people spend 20+ hours to make! smile.gif I see no purpose it it ...... at least not to fish. Basically just a means to show off your painting ability......just my opinion! (not intended to be a shot at plug builders smile.gif)

The legendary Jack Freck of Montauk fame made a thing that looked something like the keel of a sailboat that swam on the surface and imatated a large bunker. None were ever produced commercially to my knowedge (or I'd have a couple). When he lost one he'd swim around 'til he found it. I know one guy who found one years ago but hung it on his wall at home. If you're into trying stuff why do what every one else does. Try something like this bunker plug and if it works sell me a couple. A 12' bunker plug is just what that 100 pound striper would go for.

Have fun. Personally I buy mine.

Crazy Bill

AJ, thanks for the kind words, but I'm still developing.

Der Tuefel has a point. There's a lot of simple designs that'll work at the right time/place and I'd bet an unpainted plug would catch it's share also.

As Bill mentioned, Fretch and others made some crude and simple plugs that worked. The particular plug he refers to was called the "banana" and was designed to resemble a bunker. Fretch kept it a secret for years.

Disagree to the Nth degree . . . when's the last time YOU fished this way ? Go take a nap.

I'm no expert, but I think a 2x4 with a metal lip, hooks and an eye to attach your line would catch just as many fish then those nice ones people spend 20+ hours to make! smile.gif I see no purpose it it ...... at least not to fish. Basically just a means to show off your painting ability......just my opinion! (not intended to be a shot at plug builders smile.gif)

Please explain, G!

Hopefully you are not saying that a fish will choose a $25 plug that is hand painted over a beat up old plug that was bought 10+ years ago for $1.99!!!

I know (and I speak from experience) that when there is bait fish around and the game fish are in a feeding frenzy, you could throw in your watch with a hook attached and you'd probably catch em smile.gif.

The point I was making (which obviously flew over your head like a 777) was that I can't justify spending a whole week in the basement making your own plugs/lures when you can buy already made ones for 1/4 the price! If you are doing it as a hobby/fun....so be it. But don't tell me that your $25 - $30 BassMaster special made from Canadian Cedar will catch more fish then one Lex Lure's lopsided Surfsters!

I believe that a flat vs round cross section goes a long way in determining the kind of motion the lure has.I think most will agree that the long lazy wide wobble that leaves a wake on the surface is the"Killer" for a bass plug under most but not all conditions.

IF I'm correct then it's pretty obvious why the round cross section is so prevalent among effective striper plugs.

Now along with this subject;being snowed in I'm" cleaning and re-organizing tackle and have found 1/2doz old wooden Nils Masters that I bought many moons ago when I was at tackle shop over in Toms River,I think it was.Place was closing its doors and i got 'em for a song.Never did fish 'em that I can recall.Anyone ever have any success with these things?

I notice that in my new Cabelas Master Catalog there's a Nils Plug.1st one I've seen in a long time.Odd looking beast.Spring is only 3 weeks away!!!!!!!!!!!!! Neil