Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
socalkid

Surf Perch for bait?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hello,

Has anyone used live Barred Surf Perch for bait? On the DFG website it said you cant use Tilapia for live bait but that was it. So is it even legal? Im going after big Leopard Sharks and rays.

Thanks,

Chris

I'm not sure about the BSP. But in my experience the best big leopard baits are midshipmen and salmon belly. Not sure if that holds true in so cal.

Good luck!

A friend used to fish shiners at the long pier in the bay from a boat. One day he couldn't catch a shiner, but did catch a 2lb perch that he had to use. Ended up landing a 30lb plus striper.

In the 1970's we used silver perch off of Alcatraz island during the top of the incoming tide. The perch where about two pounds each and on one drop over the side of the boat we got a hit and came up with a half of a perch. There are big sharks that feed of the islands. Big pieces of squid is what you should use for what you are targeting.

Actually for shore fishing from So Cal beaches BSP are a well kept secret for big Leo's. Kid's plan can work well. You want the small palm sized BSP's for bait. I think 40lb. is overkill though, unless you are fishing 'cuz you are really hungry.......

Not sure how legal it is but big baits on the east coast are common practice. Adult bunker are that large and bigger. You would be surprised by the size of striper that will grab a big bait. I have also used hickory shad on my trips. I would guess that if you were able to keep the perch alive in a live well you could free spool them to stripers. I'll see if I can dig up some shots of my east coast trip where we used bunker.

View PostWinch fish bait!?!? Say it aint so!

Yup after almost forty years of beatin the snot out of stripers with surface gear I finally caught some on bait. Don't think that this will be a trend for me as I would never toss an anchovy. But Bunker are fun! Having a four pound bait swimming around and getting chased was surreal. Then watching them tire and come to the surface and be smacked a half dozen times before they are inhaled whole is interesting.

View PostHaving a four pound bait swimming around and getting chased was surreal. Then watching them tire and come to the surface and be smacked a half dozen times before they are inhaled whole is interesting.

That whole scenario does sound pretty effin awesome. Be cool to see the pics if you can find em.

Live shiner perch, kelp greenling, and flounder are all used to catch lingcod up here. The kelp greenling and flounder are some pretty big baits. I'm sure we've all heard stories of lingcod grabbing a hooked rockfish.

And it's not just stripers and lingcod that will take big baits. Just about any predatory species can surprise you with what they'll try and eat...

I caught a roughly 14'' searun cutthroat a few years ago that had about a 6-7'' salmon smolt hanging out of its mouth. That trout had nearly decapitated that poor salmon smolt. Yet, even with a mouthful of salmon that greedy guy slammed my streamer!

And here I thought trout only rose delicately to small dry flies!cwm27.gif

Go catch something big.icon14.gif