Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Courtesy Flush

How to dress properly for the fall

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Okay, so I am preparing for my first fall run and I wanted to ask the more experienced anglers what they have found works/ doesn't work when it comes to what to wear. I have an Underarmor cold gear both the long sleeve shirt and leggings. I was thinking of then wearing a pair of sweat pants and a fleece. Lastly, I have a pair of Hodegeman lite waders and a dockers wind-breaker. I was just wondering if I would need anything else. Do people wear water proof gloves, so your hands don't freeze? I am guessing a beanie for the head? Also, I have wading boots, is there anyway to not have them fill with sand? Thanks everyone

View PostDon't wear white after Labor Day. wink.gif

highfive.gif

The Fashion Police are everywhere!!!biggrin.gif

Unless it is VERY cold, I've found fingerless wool gloves to be the warmest.cwm40.gif

Silk is great for layering under fleece.cwm40.gif SierraTradingPost carries a full line of silk underwear at very good prices.

Just remember Layer's. Also they make Wader Gaiters ( A neoprene device that prevents rocks & sand from getting into your wading boots ) They zipper around the boot & wader to prevent damage to stocking foot waders.

Cabela's amoung others that sell them.Don't forget a good hat,benie.You lose most of you heat from your head not being covered.

Someone here on another thread had mentioned no cotton. Pardon the ignorance, but if you're not wearing cotton, what's the alternative that's better for the base layers?

This is the first year I'm going to do any serious fishing in cold weather (or at least I'm planning to). I've picked up a good bib and waterproof boots for when I'm on a boat for cod, but was just planning to wear the multiple layers I'd normally wear to a football tailgate. Didn't really think that fishing would need a drastically different approach.

I guess the only thing that comes to mind is to make sure you don't wear so much that you can't get out of it if you fall in or can't get to shore without being dragged down. I use a wetsuit and neoprene booties to wade into the surf in May and late Sept. Wear a hunting PDF if I am in anywhere silly like weedy rocks. I don't care if I look like a Wuss, just want to be a live one so you can tease me tomorrow, funerals really cut into fishing time, particularly mine if I am the stiff.

For when it's really effin cold:

Long undies, polypropylene works really well, and ski pants under the waders - thin, waterproof, and warm

Invest in good socks and liners, worth their weight in gold

Multiple thin layers on top. You can alway take it off, you can't put it on if you don't have it.

The best trick I know is to go to the end of year sales at the ski shops. You'll save big $$ on the same stuff that's priced beyond ridiculous as soon as it's labeled for fishing.

I've yet to find the pair of gloves I'm completely satisfied with but neoprenes seem to offer the best balance between feel and warmth

View PostSomeone here on another thread had mentioned no cotton. Pardon the ignorance, but if you're not wearing cotton, what's the alternative that's better for the base layers?

This is the first year I'm going to do any serious fishing in cold weather (or at least I'm planning to). I've picked up a good bib and waterproof boots for when I'm on a boat for cod, but was just planning to wear the multiple layers I'd normally wear to a football tailgate. Didn't really think that fishing would need a drastically different approach.

except you'll sweat, and the cotton soaks it up... then freezes your arse off. breathable waders + breathable underlayers = comfort. Bring a dry change of socks if your feet sweat alot, and change em when it gets bad.

If your wet inside your waterproof layer, and you get cold, it's hard to shake.

View PostSomeone here on another thread had mentioned no cotton. Pardon the ignorance, but if you're not wearing cotton, what's the alternative that's better for the base layers?

I have experienced through both hunting and fishing that wool is the best alternative to cotton. Wool actually acts like a wet suit and when it gets wet its heat retention actually raises where cotton drastically decreases. There are many new wools on the market such as marino wool which has no itch and is quite comfortable.

In the cold weather Long Johns, fleece pants, Two pairs of socks. Thermal under shirt, long sleeve cotton shirt, heavy duty pullover sweatshirt. Good splash jacket. As far as gloves can't seem to find a good pair for the cold.

I always bring another sweat shirt just in case.

Hubby say's by the time I get dressed I look like little Ralphie from the Christmas Story. What the hey a least I am warm.

The fish don't care how you are dressed.

View Post Also they make Wader Gaiters ( A neoprene device that prevents rocks & sand from getting into your wading boots ) They zipper around the boot & wader to prevent damage to stocking foot waders.

From personal experience I have found that while wading the surf sand will still get into wading shoes even if I am wearing the gaiters. Other styles may prevent the entry of sand.

The MOST IMPORTANT THING is a wicking base layer. Poly propylene or fleece micro fibers will carry the moisture away from your skin. Even on those long hikes to your favorite spots. They come in different weights(thicknesses) for different temperature ranges.

Oh yea after eating,don't go in the water for at least a half hour. "A good half hour. Have fun storming the castle"biggrin.gif

Unless it is VERY cold, I've found fingerless wool gloves to be the warmest.cwm40.gif

Agreed!!

Don't waste your money on neoprene or glaciar gloves, they make your hands colder. I wear nothing unless I just can't stand it, then its wool gloves.

View PostIn the cold weather Long Johns, fleece pants, Two pairs of socks. Thermal under shirt, long sleeve cotton shirt, heavy duty pullover sweatshirt. Good splash jacket. As far as gloves can't seem to find a good pair for the cold.

I always bring another sweat shirt just in case.

Hubby say's by the time I get dressed I look like little Ralphie from the Christmas Story. What the hey a least I am warm.

The fish don't care how you are dressed.

miss, from my own experience wearing 2 pairs of socks is detrimental to the warmth of your feet.

everyone that bundles up like you're going into the arctic circle, JEEZ!! grow a pair..