Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

Supreme Combat fishing

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

having sending the past severel weeks fishing along the outer reaches of Race Point,Herring Cove and Woods end it become apparent to your truely that canal fishing is a picknick in the park.

The small boat fleet of Kiaks pushing of the various beaches and paddling out to where the action is surely a feat of courage, as larger craft, some with no regards to whom is around them or even care, play a game of dodge and in some cases even attempt to captsize them by powering up around them in circles. it is a good thing they all have there life jackets on and show a bright flag, high enough to see[hopefully] I can not imagen what happens when they get a hookup and go for a ride. with a large fish.

It did thin out each day this week as more and more become fustrated by the combat fishing style one must employ to catch a fish. Just picture yourself trolling a along , catch a fish, no matter how large or even if it is a bass and with out hesitation every boat in the immediate area is not locked onto your spot. Some are slinging eels, some are using umbrella rigs, some are wire lining jigs, some are lead coring jig and because it is a kept secret I can not devulge what we were doing that was so successful. Each devise is being used differently by each boater and once the spot become known it is fair game for every boater out on the water. We only had 200 or so boaters to deal with today in our quest to catch big momma.

You may work to find a good rush of fish only to be out manuvered to get a second bite of the pod as every other boater locks into your spot.

Many foul and nasty comments get exchanged because of some rather obnoxous souls whom believe you are taking there fish. One needs to have a strong will to engage in this type of fishing and have enough patients to mark your find and let the crowd follow a blind lead, once you hook into a good fish. It does work. Needles to say a few lines do get crossed during the battle of wills and tempers..

The secret is be early, bring with you what the fish want and above all especially during these hot times is to bring plenty of water to keep hydrated. Bring a net as many of the fish are sublegal to keep,many are also legal for commercial selling, but if you do go, one will see very few nets being employed and a gaff is the weapon of choice no matter the size of the fish in a great majoity of those fishing these waters. Needles to say many of those gaffed released fish are just a floater in the water and for the bandits they simply put them in the box with out so much as blink and sold along with the legal fish to the nearest market that will purchase them.beatin.gifcwm15.gif

I know that sharing among our brethren is a touchy subject matter for some to understand ands that is why I must publically thank our good friend and sharer of knowledge Mr. Nelson for making it possible for my young fishing partner and friend to be so successfull in the catching department over the past severel weeks. It is a joy to know we have some one that actually practise what he preaches and shares in the joys of helping others do well.heart.gif

Should you go just be careful as combat fishing along the outer beaches of Race Point can be dangerous to your healthcwm15.gif

Ha!!!! You are so right! We spent 8/8-16 out there in our 17 foot whaler. Also a week in June. People were nuts last week. Breaking bait w/birds next to the boat...casting to them...as the fish begin to move 3 boats start up and run straight into the school to try to get the advantage location. At one point we just sat in the middle with our black eals swimming as freindly trolling boaters drove close enough to shake hands. Saturday was CRAZY at Herring Cove. No one was really catching that much but the number of boats was astonishing!

If you were a couple of miles from the race on Tuesday/Wednesday (won't say where) you may have witnessed the great striper slaughter of 2009. The fish were in a place they never are with no bluefish near them and they were hungry. The first day about 20 lucky boats found it. On Wednesday I counted 57 boats fishing the same tiny piece of ocean. Almost no one was trolling those two days ...Holy cow -no pun intended.

Spend some hours whale watching off Race point beach. The best scene was when a whale was fluking and then deep dove about 3-400 yards off shore. 4 kayakers paddled towards the whale. When the whale came up 20 feet from the lead kayakers I heard a grown man scream. Too funny. Cool to see Tuna breaching off further and slightly south one day too. Such an amazing place even when no fish are biting!

Can't wait to go back for the 2nd week of September. Hope it's as good as June was!

Forgot to mention that there has been stepped up Environmental police activity in the area. After going for years and never seeing either we have been boarded by the USCG once and checked by MA Environmental police twice this year and we have only been out fishing on the boat a total of 15 days in the Provincetown area this year.

It's always seemed hopeless out there with people openly keeping undersized or unmeasured small fish and openly fishing for fluke after the season is closed out there. On Friday and Saturday I saw 1/2 dozen boats jigging in flukey areas even though the Rec season closed Thursday 8/13 and Commercial closed Wednesday 8/12 in Mass.

It's actually kind of nice to see some enforcement. The enviro guy has been thouroghly searching boats including nooks and crannies. Maybe not just looking for undersize fish?

reminds me of fishing boston harbor in the late 80's...we'd grab up some live pogies from hingham harbor if available and cruise out to boston light, drop them in the drink, and have a 10lb blue on within 60 seconds...you'd be all by yourself, get a hit, and before your done reeling in the fish, there's a flotilla of boats around you...beatin.gif

View Postreminds me of fishing boston harbor in the late 80's...we'd grab up some live pogies from hingham harbor if available and cruise out to boston light, drop them in the drink, and have a 10lb blue on within 60 seconds...you'd be all by yourself, get a hit, and before your done reeling in the fish, there's a flotilla of boats around you...beatin.gif

and it still goes on today in the Haba. cwm27.gif.....except add Hadgies to the mix.

I'm convinced that there are about 3 boats in any given harbor with a clue what they are doing from a fishing standpoint, with 100x that just flailing around, following and trying to imitate.

rather tough when you are into fish and every one else is playing following along to getting a long wink.gifbiggrin.gif Following the boat catching the fish, is like follwing yesterdays news about what was hot the day before in the canalbiggrin.gif

By the time you reel your fish up you have drifted off the location, far enough to get a second pass, before the fleet decides how to ace you out of the location you found, far away from the main body of boats.

Fishing in Stealth mode is very hard under those circumstances, but driving away to another location works as in some cases they continue to follow, not having a clue they are motoring over the spotwink.gifbiggrin.gif and leaving the fish for yourself for another pass.

It is truely amazing to me that these folks whom just watch what other are catching instead of using the electronics on the boat to find fish, are ever succesful at all. Just small fishbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

That is the standard reply to the interlopers, every one is just catching small fish or so it would seem.

Like fishing any where, one should use there own knowledge to locate and catch fish based on your own skills, A little help from your friends does work as well. But for every one you call , they call ten friends and they call ten friends and by the end of the day 100 are calling there friends so the next day every one else is now on top of the place you found by hard work and you are left standing alone to find another good place to fishbiggrin.gif

Speaking about the good find has a short window frame and generally speaking any event that is three days old is old news, unless you are the one that found the location . At times all it takes is for some one to notice whom are fishing where and those they are fishing with to know that the bite is on at a particular place, That goes for the Canal as well as the waters out in Cape Cod Bay or Vineyard sound.cwm15.gif

So learn whom fish together and you will be one step towards having some one else finding fish for you. That is unless you want to find your own, after all it is more fun and enjoyment in finding your own. No one to tell you to stop following them, like they own the fish we all catch.cwm15.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

yep! sounds like the bay alright....used to fish some good places along it's shoreline till one day the bud's I fish with said you have a trailer for your boat right?the next day pre dawn we were loaded up and on our way. Got to the ramp and it was empty.WE were in and otw in no time. It was nice and flat an could see there wasn't a boat anywhere .We got to our spot and started letting out the tube and worms.Fish were being boated,thinking "it's going to be a good day" Then out of nowhere we see a white mass coming in from offshore,next thing we know we can't move..needles to say we got pushed out by a few charter boats as they were 4 times our size...onto the next spot,well that wasn't any better..next move was back to the ramp...the next day we found out that we were high hook in the bay that day,but if having to put up with that kind of crap just to fish you can have it ....that was 10 years ago and havn't been back.

Took the words right outta my mouth. While those guys are running over each other, you can quietly be getting some nice fish at night from the beach, esp. true in another few weeks in that area.

Different strokes for different folks 40.gif .

-bd

View PostThank you. I have found a new appreciation for fishing at night in solitude.

View PostThe small boat fleet of Kiaks pushing of the various beaches and paddling out to where the action is surely a feat of courage, as larger craft, some with no regards to whom is around them or even care, play a game of dodge and in some cases even attempt to captsize them by powering up around them in circles. it is a good thing they all have there life jackets on and show a bright flag, high enough to see[hopefully] I can not imagen what happens when they get a hookup and go for a ride. with a large fish.

It goes without saying but the asshats who pull these stunts have no place on the water whatsoever. I equate this to driving down the highway and intentionally trying to drive other cars off the road into the guardrail. Reckless endangerment of others should be punishable by a swift kick to the gonads. mad.gif

So many idiots in this world, and it seems like most of them own boats.