Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
socalkid

Fish-N-Mate Jr.

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

Anyone have a Fish-N-Mate Jr.? Im thinking of getting one. How do you like it? Is it worth the price? The beach I fish at is all sand but I have to walk down a small dirt hill to get to it then walk about 1\\4 mile to my spot. Does the Fish-N-Mate sound like it would work well for that? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

The only downsides are thay take up alot of space, particularly if your transporting them. If you live near the beach, they are great. I'd also go with the balloon type tires which are not standard.

one idea would be too pack lighter...

I'm not trying to be a wise ass ... i think we tend to bring way too much sh't with us.. I have broken it down to the essentials.

if your fishing bait you don't need the kitchen sink and if your on an open beach you won't need a tone of rigs ..

I carry a small igloo cooler, pre-cut bait in baggies, and about 4 sinkers. No need for pliers or lipgrip tool for bait fishing go out and get an arc dehooker and attach it right to a belt loop with a carabiner clip.

(hook cutters not a bag idea just incase)

I carry my rigs , pre-tied hooks, leaders, ect in a leader wallet that i shove in a cargo pocket.

.. strap a rod tube and rod together, rest it on your shoulder like a bayonet. and go off to war.

If you need to carry other crap like sun block rain gear ect. get a small backpack they have some nice waterproof packs to keep things dry.

OH rule of thumb icon14.gif if its to much to carry chances are you don't need it.

I got one for the wife for lugging the cooler, chairs, the kids boogie boards, skim boards and other assorted crap down to the beach (the rod holders make perfect umbrella stands).

It also gets heavy use going to the family BBQ area at Monmouth Park. The gate attendants claim we have the best setup in the place

I've never used it for fishing - there's no need to haul so much crap you need a cart to carry it all

i have the full-sized one... it is indispensable when bait fishing/deadsticking... lets you bring what you need without killing yourself, especially when walking to the more isolated spots

I have the JR. ordered extra rod tubes. Used it at Chatham light one night, there were 5 people fishing. We were pluging and chunking so had a lot of crap on it. Was real breeze pulling it all the way out at low tide, seemed to get heavier on the way back in, but cic very well on the soft sand. I do think my son and his buddies used it once with the bike hitch at the ditch and said it was fine untill you get going to fast. We are talking 20 year olds on 15 speed bikes, they dont go fast do they.

I've owned the Junior for years and it has served me well. I ditched the wheel retaining springs and went to Home Depot and bought some folding clevis pins to retain the wheels and take advantage of their easy take off design. I remove the wheels and am able to fit the cart in the trunk of my Honda Civic Coupe.

I find it indispensible when I want to fish both chunks and lures on those Long Island beaches where 4x4 vehicles aren't allowed.

Marc

A disadvantage of using a cart on the beach is when you have alot of vehicular traffic. The trucks and SUVs leave ruts in the soft sand which make it difficult to travel over. Another disadvantage is if you have a steep incline getting onto the beach. It can be difficult on the return getting back from the beach. The beach conditions determine whether it worth getting the cart. Hard beach are ideal.

View PostA disadvantage of using a cart on the beach is when you have alot of vehicular traffic. The trucks and SUVs leave ruts in the soft sand which make it difficult to travel over. Another disadvantage is if you have a steep incline getting onto the beach. It can be difficult on the return getting back from the beach. The beach conditions determine whether it worth getting the cart. Hard beach are ideal.

if you've got so much gear that you have a hard time rolling your cart over the tire ruts on the beach, then you've got an amount of gear that you could NEVER carry without your cart in 1 trip....

yes it is not easy in soft sand with deep ruts, but it beats the sheit out of making 4 trips and lugging around a 30lbs ice chest by hand....

View PostThe only downsides are thay take up alot of space, particularly if your transporting them. If you live near the beach, they are great. I'd also go with the balloon type tires which are not standard.

I got the 2" receiver fixture, the cart rides on the hitch. I have used it on the beach with my truck to hold the cooler and as a rod holder.