Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joeturse

Officers Hook Summer Flounder Violators

Rate this topic

263 posts in this topic

View PostI thought the managers set the quotas based on the scientists findings. I think the save the summer flounder fishery's hired guns proved that the best available science isn't.

No the over all quota isn't set by managers any longer. It's set by the scientists

As for "the hired gun" I'm sure his presence improved the model efforts as he was part of the assessment team.

Dr. Mark Maunder presented his efforts to develop a sex structured model using the Stock Synthesis II software package. While the sex-structured configuration may prove useful in the future, the committee noted that the lack of sex-specific fisheries data hampers its application at this time. There was particular discussion on the estimated sexspecific

natural mortality rates provided by this model and their possible support for the recommended natural mortality estimates used in the final Southern Demersal Working Group model configuration. Following these presentations the committee stood in recess

for the day.

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/nefsc/saw/SARC47/

View PostNot one good reason yet. I don't have high hopes for you at this point.

What if I give you an RM Smith Danny swimmer white with a black dot on the cheek, will you shut your mouth then? You can even shove it, you know where..