Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dank1204

snappers

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

hey, ive seen alot of people use snappers where im fishing and have had good results. i was thinking about getting a small rod and a spin caster just to catch em and cut em. you think its worth it? meaning, any other fish eat snapper or no?

Live snapper are good for fluke, blues, weakfish, probably stripers.

Dead they work too. Live is better.

When big blues are around, cut by the tail so they bleed, bingo...

Good Luck

I use a sabiki rig with a cast master at the end and jig it with the cast master bouncing bottom. It appears that the snappers are attracted to the cast master, then go for the sabikis as well. Many times you can get 3 at once. I've been surprised at the different fish ive been getting right off the dock with this rig- Ive had a couple short fluke, a northern sennet, and a huge northern kingfish this week. You get alot of blues and fluke bites with the snappers. The problem is a lot of the short fluke come up and kill the snappers and alot of the time can't fit the thing in their mouths. Sometimes its frustrating cause the short fluke and blues quickly destroy your hard work, but I usually get a nice flue or two and it makes it worth it.

How do you get the pilot fish? Sabiki rig, castmaster or bait?

View PostI use a sabiki rig with a cast master at the end and jig it with the cast master bouncing bottom. It appears that the snappers are attracted to the cast master, then go for the sabikis as well. Many times you can get 3 at once. I've been surprised at the different fish ive been getting right off the dock with this rig- Ive had a couple short fluke, a northern sennet, and a huge northern kingfish this week. You get alot of blues and fluke bites with the snappers. The problem is a lot of the short fluke come up and kill the snappers and alot of the time can't fit the thing in their mouths. Sometimes its frustrating cause the short fluke and blues quickly destroy your hard work, but I usually get a nice flue or two and it makes it worth it.

How do you get the pilot fish? Sabiki rig, castmaster or bait?

Yep - use a sabiki or some real small jig. They love grass shrimp so you get the idea. They get picky so if they are around you might have to experiment. They take spearing too

View Posticon14.gif Works for everything. They die pretty quick though. Small pilot fish stay alive longer and move around more - if you can get them. they should be around pilings soon

I also hear that spot can be great, if you can find 'em.

What's the best way to catch pilot fish?

the kastmaster works, but I like a faster retrieve. the lift/drop method lets them swipe at it and drop it. I've wached it happen in shallow water.

a fast-steady retrieve lets them hook themselves.

the smallest ones i get are usually the best and get attacked right away (4-5 inch). You can use them up to 7'' tho. I like hooking them from the lower jaw out through the nostrils with a large fluke hook. on the bigger snappers i use a stinger ( either a regular hook behind the dorsal, or a small treble with one barb inserted in the caudal peduncle).

1/0 or 2/0 circle hook right behind the dorsal fin. try to get as shallow as possible, but dont pierce the spine. i try not to interfer with their mouths at all..

im a fan of short leaders, so i generally use 8" - 10" of 50 flouro leader, on a fish finder rig. i dont recommend going lighter then 50.... a bass or a weakfish will make you sorry if you use light leaders.... or if you're really lucky heavy doormat.

excellent bait!