Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoshR

Penn 320gti.. good for chunking from the surf?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

i have been fishing for a few years now, but in mostly used my father inlaws spare equipment.. well last year i started getting all my own equpiment.. i have a complete spinning setup.. now working on chunking.. my dad has a penn 320 gti that he no longer uses.. we used to use it for blue fishing.. not sure if this is more of a boat jigging reel or if it is also good for the surf..

what do you think?

View Posti have been fishing for a few years now, but in mostly used my father inlaws spare equipment.. well last year i started getting all my own equpiment.. i have a complete spinning setup.. now working on chunking.. my dad has a penn 320 gti that he no longer uses.. we used to use it for blue fishing.. not sure if this is more of a boat jigging reel or if it is also good for the surf..

what do you think?

If you already have access to it, it'll work as a chunking reel from the surf. I'd never buy one for that purpose, but since you already have it, it'll do the job well enough.

Might as well try it. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and you buy something else. Not much to lose there.

I have 2 of them (320 GTi) and seem like a little too big for surf (chunking).

I use them for bottom fishing... for chunking, I use the Shimano Triton 200G... it's just my thought smile.gif

The best way is try it out yourself and see smile.gif

Reel is fine for your purpose.

I know people who jig with a 320gti for Amberjacks. If it can handle numerous AJ's, it is fine for chunking from the surf.

I used mine from the surf and it works well.. put a minimum of 40 lb test on it though.. that may be good for you because it has a level wind and you dont have to manually lay the line back on the sppol.. thats a big help