Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nfnDrum

Canal Tips?

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I need a push in the right direction .. like all bodies there are basic rules that apply. I'd like to know the basic rules for plugging and jigging the canal.

exp montauk: south side, darters, in coming, north side, out going ..

I did some chunking in the Canal this july and had some fun. I caught some schoolies using some good advice .. it cost my wife a cigarette it was well worth the price. .. Thanks to whom ever it was that helped me out. I had much better luck the second trip out.icon14.gif

Now. is it safe to say the fish are there at the same tide stages as they are in the summer but more prone to hit a lure in the fall?

No need for spot burns but if their are areas I should avoid because they absolutely suck those would help allot.

THe best advice I can give from my experiences plugging and jigging this year (I'm a recently reformed chunker) is "be there yesterday" which is when all the passers by (somehow they all like to talk to ME!) will tell you "they were catching them all day."

Only getting to fish once a week or so I've been able to prove a few bits of advice I've gained... the last hour to hour and a half of a tide is usually the best. Dawn and dusk are usually best, and don't be afraid to work the edge if there's nobody down current from you that you'll cross.

One morning a few weeks ago I was fishing the east end and there was a pod of fish breaking on a West tide on small bait. I had a small maple pencil that I was able to cast as far or farther than the guys throwing big poppers. They would be retrieving their poppers like mad while I would just be popping my pencil (heheh) barely retrieving at all and allowing my lure to remain in the strike zone. Result: while they were casting like mad and catching fish now and then, I cast 1/3 the amount of times and had a fish on almost every cast. I've had similar experiences earlier in the year with needles when the fish were on sandeels. Twitching in the current was far more effective for me than those popping like mad.