Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoshR

chunking reel

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

looking to get a chunking reel.. looking for some recomendations.. hoping for something with magnets to help minimize on the rats nests untill i get more comfortable with a conventional. I havn't cased a conventional style reel since i was using a bait caster in fresh water.. don't know if the rod specs would make a difference in the reel selection.. the rod is more of a hand me down.. don 't have the exact specs yet. Not sure what a decent reel would go for.. hoping to pick something up from the BST, would like to stay under 100, but again..not sure what they go for..

so something that will be somewhat easy to cast for a beginer.. and do i want level wind?

Well I started with a penn Squidder its old school .If you learn on this all other conventionals will be a cake walk.when I started I put some 20 lb line on it. well I had lots of birds nests and had to do alot of cutting.So then I started throwing 50lb andy still got birds nests but was way easier to control them and easier to take out when I got them.With what ever reel you choose all you need to do is go practice for a bunch of hours at a field or beach or where ever you can just keeep casting.When casting use the actual spool to hold when casting and to slow down while in mid air if you feel the line starting to loosen up shift your them back and forth over the spool to control the birdnest.In time with lots of practice you will get really goodwink.gif Theres nothing like using 50lb mono and a 8 oz sinker and half a bunker and being able to throw it out with no worries. Gl

Two good reels that you can get new for right around $100 are both Daiwa Sealines: the SL 30 SH (called the "slosh" 30) and the SL-X 30 SHA.

The Saltists are excellent reels but they run around $170 new.

You could do a lot worse than a slosh 30 for 100 bucks.

Used, very clean, Penn 525 Mags pop up on the BST forum quite often

I recently picked one up there for well under your $$ amount

Best bang for the buck for a magged reel, and a sweetheart to cast

View PostFor a little more money you can get the Abu 7000iC3CT Mag Hi Speed reel.

I listed one on bst last week with no takers. The drag needs work but I am only asking $100 smile.gif

Another vote for Daiwa. Saltist if you can swing the price, Slosh if you want to stay closer to $100. Either reel will make you happy.wink.gif

20 size for braid, 30 for mono.

Do the Okuma Contoura CR-203CS/CR-303CS make good chunking reels? You can get a new one for around $70 and they seem to get good reviews from the people that actually use them from what I can find. They come standard with magnetic cast control.

The ALL NEW Contoura Series of conventional fishing reels by Okuma has serious features, such as magnetic cast control, oversized stainless steel gears, machined and anodized aluminum spool and Okuma's multi-disk carbonite drag system, all of which make the Contoura a serious reel for serious fisherman. Add to those impressive features a corrosion resistant graphite frame and a stainless steel ball bearing drive system and you wind up with a reel that can take all the abuse that big fish can hand out, over and over again.

The Contoura Reel Series Features -

Lightweight Corrosion Resistant Graphite Frame

Machined Aluminum, Anodized Spool

Magnetic Control: Cast Control System

Multi-Disk Carbonite Drag

2BB+1RB Stainless Bearing Drive

Quick-Set Anti-Reverse Roller Bearing

Speed Lock Pinion Gear

XL Gearing, Oversized Stainless Gears