Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
codfish

do eyes on lures really matter

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Tough call?confused.gif

When throwing big herring flies in the spring, they sure do. I hot glue those over-sized prismatic eyes on the herring patterns I tie for the spring run. Even with them being hot glued on, they still come off after fighting several large fish, and that fly's efficacy comes to a screaching halt. shakehead.gif Even with one eye missing, you get a lot of follows, half swipes, looks, but the hook up rate drops. Replace the fly with a new one, with perfect eyes, the slam it.wink.gif

But jigging at night, in the canal, during a fast tide...? I'm not so sure it matters?

I put eyes on my plugs because I think it looks cool. Whether it makes a difference or not? I dunno, but I can't help but think that it can't hurt. Any extra realism or a flash of a fishy looking part could be the difference between the fish striking or turning away.

Picture072.jpg

If you're working a pencil popper the way it should be, the fish don't even see the eyes--unless they're on the ass of the plug wink.gif

I always found it interesting that Habs put eyes on all of his needlefish, but not on his pencils cwm15.gif

There's at least one builder on SOL I've seen puts eyes on the bottom of his spooks. Watching wounded pogies flop and spin on the surface, it makes sense..again.. if eyes even help cwm13.gif

If your selling them,,Yes .. People like eyes..

If your fishing them ,,No .. fish don't care ..

I've been too lazy to put eyes on my own slow sink needles,,another step.. The fish are more interrested in an easy meal than wether it has eyes ..

A needle is a good example because its slow in thier face fishing .. Beachmaster made his name selling blind plugs .. I don't believe any Danny Pichney plugs had eyes either .. duh ... correction He used the decal eyes on some .. seemed 50/50...

I always thought that plugs were made pretty for the fishermen to buy, not the fish to eat!

An example is a mackeral plug, the stripes are above the water and the fish comming from below can't see them!kooky.gif

When the fish are actively feeding on top I don't think it matters much. There are always exceptions to the rule, but overall that is my $.02.

View PostI always thought that plugs were made pretty for the fishermen to buy, not the fish to eat!

An example is a mackeral plug, the stripes are above the water and the fish comming from below can't see them!kooky.gif

When the fish are actively feeding on top I don't think it matters much. There are always exceptions to the rule, but overall that is my $.02.

Fish can see the mackerel stripes on pencil poppers and Polarises. Most people let a Polaris settle back into the water after they pop it, and the ass end of a pencil popper is almost always below the surface.