Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EJfromNJ

inline spinners

7 posts in this topic

purchased some inline spinners based on the reviews saying they're great for river fishing for smallies

im working heavy brush so ill have to change the hooks to weedless. i have some weedless trebles but thats about it

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I make some of my own & rig some of them with a offset worm hook so I can add plastics to them. Makes them weedless.

Hard to find worm hooks that have a big enough eye to change them on ready made ones. I usually dress the treble hooks with feathers or hair on the ones I've bought if not already dressed.

I've never cared for the weedless trebles, as they seem to still snag easily. Matzuo makes some single hooks with wire weed guards that have larger eyes, and are sharp. They work fine for replacing trebles & can be used for adding plastics.

Try adding a curltail grub, or a fluke, or a small worm.

Add a good swivel to the front of them too, they will twist your line bad otherwise. wink.gif

EJ, what brand & size spinners do you get? I didn't think about it before, but if you search around for Musky size inline spinners, take a good look at them. I've seen some that made me think, I should try that!

Some are really different than the smaller ones most of us might use for bass. It may give you some other ideas for adding to the ones you got. Those Musky guys are crazy & some of the contraptions they devise are strange looking, but sometimes using different & unique, makes a lure more interesting to the bass. Show them something they haven't seen. Of course you have to down size for the bass. But if you can add a 8 inch plastic bait to a 2 oz Musky spinner, you can certainly add a 3 inch plastic to a 1/4 oz bass spinner! wink.gif

View PostEJ, what brand & size spinners do you get? I didn't think about it before, but if you search around for Musky size inline spinners, take a good look at them. I've seen some that made me think, I should try that!

Some are really different than the smaller ones most of us might use for bass. It may give you some other ideas for adding to the ones you got. Those Musky guys are crazy & some of the contraptions they devise are strange looking, but sometimes using different & unique, makes a lure more interesting to the bass. Show them something they haven't seen. Of course you have to down size for the bass. But if you can add a 8 inch plastic bait to a 2 oz Musky spinner, you can certainly add a 3 inch plastic to a 1/4 oz bass spinner! wink.gif

i tried a rooster tail the past few days, i think 1/4oz. im waiting for an order of blue fox spinners. i got the classic and 'salmon' size. also ordered a snagless sally and some kastmasters. looking into the musky sized lures right now. ur the man dude, thanks

Good choices! I always liked the Rooster tails. The hooks were usually lighter wire than on other brands of spinners & they seemed to hook up better for me. Most of the in-lines I make are like the Rooster tails.

The first spinners I remember using were made by ABU Garcia, and were called a "Reflex". I see them occasionally on Ebay.

They were similar to a Rooster tail too, except they had a brass body & the blade was rippled. The treble hooks were dressed with feathers. They haven't been made for many years.

I have a few crappie sized Blue Fox spinners too. I like the finishes on them, but haven't used them that much. I think the few I have were in some tackle I bought on Ebay.

Leave a post on how you "modify" them & what kind of success you have! Interested to see what works for you!