Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stoker1

IKO Brand Shingles?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Anyone heard of them or used them?

They appear to be used in New England but I haven't seen them in the greater NY area.

Seem to be a large global company based on the web site.

View Postthey have a fresh class action lawsuit against them, I would avoid. Is this one of the choices offered by a roofer?

That's great. What is the nature of the lawsuit? And yes they are are being offered by a roofer.

They've been offered in the New England area for years, last I knew they seemed a reputable company. Pretty sure they were made in Canada since they came in metric dimensions(plus another 8-10 lbs or so of weight per bundle). I'd be curious to know what specifically spurred the lawsuits since IKO was the last company I know of making organic asphalt shingles prior to switching to making asphalt fiberglass ones. Bird used to be a huge manufacturer of shingles and they got into trouble(early 80's or so) and went under due to lawsuits over their first attempts at a fiberglass asphalt shingle.

View Post I'd be curious to know what specifically spurred the lawsuits since IKO was the last company I know of making organic asphalt shingles prior to switching to making asphalt fiberglass ones. Bird used to be a huge manufacturer of shingles and they got into trouble(early 80's or so) and went under due to lawsuits over their first attempts at a fiberglass asphalt shingle.

I would bet that you are right. Back when I did more roofing a yard I deal with really pushed the top of the line Chateau series of IKO shingles. They were metric nice looking Architectural shingles, I still remember they called it a " Organic Fiber Base" and it was the best thing going.

Every roof I did with them looked like crap within 10 years. The shingles seem to actually swell up, they curl at the seems and lose all the granules around there edges. I'm pretty sure the Organic Fiber Base was nothing more than paper. I forget the name but I think they offered a 3 tab line with the same base.

I've done a couple small jobs on out buildings with the Cambridge series fiberglass shingles to color match the main house and they seem Ok, but I personally wouldn't use them on my house.

I personally like Timberline/Elk.

View PostGAF actually bought out ELK shingles,imo,GAF is the best shingle out there,Certainteed makes a nice shingle also,matt

Yup, and since they did the shingles are even better.

They were always my two favorites and it's like they combined the best of both products.

One correction about Bird mentioned above thanks to google.......guess they didnt technically go out of business, but rather after financail diffuculties sold themselves or were bought out by Certainteed.

View PostThat's great. What is the nature of the lawsuit? And yes they are are being offered by a roofer.

lots of failures, several states are suing. Premature curling, rapidly deteriorating, etc Here's the state of New York's complaint/ lawsuit http://www.ikoshingleslawsuit.com/wp...aintny_web.pdf

I would go with a brand like GAF, Tamko, certainteed for peace of mind

Oh boy, did the whole house (mine!) in IKO 30 yr architectural shingles 5 years ago....now I'm worried. cwm31.gif

I use CertainTeed Woodscape series almost exclusively now.

Yes, looks like that same lawsuit is filed in multiple states but I'm no lawyer.

I did some putzing on the internet, looks like the problem was with organic? based IKO shingles manufactured in the past. Seems now their top end line is solely asphalt/fiberglass based, for example their 40- year architectural "RoofShake" line.

Also noted there have been other lawsuits against the other major manufacturers too and roofing forums had mixed feedback on IKO, typical stuff.

yeah, all shingles will eventually fail, some prematurely fail due to the manufacturing process, bad installation method, poor venting, etc.

It's interesting cause lawyers love to sue and are always looking for a new revenue source. I have to imagine though there's some truth to the complaints as well. Seems like these lawsuits focus on the warranty and who is to blame, if the installer didnt do their job then I believed it voids the company's warranty, the roofers probably blame the shingle makers, leaving the consumer as the moneky in the middle who then hires a attorney.

the problem with alot of roofers is that they don't follow the manufacture's installation process,every time I roof I open up the bundle and read how they want me to install there shingles,meaning how they want there starter courses cut,I follow the directions to a tee just in case I do have a problem I can call them back and they can say I did follow there installation instructions and they will warranty the shingles,the other problem is with the hack roofers that are out there today,if you do have a problem with your roof chances are a year from now they will be gone no where to be seen,my mom's house has IKO shingles and it is only 13 years old and the shed dormer which gets full sun looks like it is about 30 years old,maybe I can get some work out of it,