Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striperboy10

very confused!

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

im getting a new surf rod but i have no clue what i should get im looking for a plugging rod handling 3/4 - 3 ounces i dont know if i should get 9 or 10 feet. also i would like to get a penn reel that is a fit for both a 9' and 10' rod incase i get two will the slammer 560 fit on a 9' tica ueha spinning rod thats what ive been thinking about!

thank you so much

I would go for the 10'. UEHAs are a good value for heavers but I've never thought of them as a plugging rod. (Take this with a grain of salt as I've never cast their lighter rods.) You should also look at Tica Dolphin, and Tsunami Airwave and/or Trophy rods. All are in the same price neighborhood. If you're thinking of two, get a 10' rated 1-4 oz and a lighter 9' (1/2-2 oz) for bombers, bucktails, etc.

View PostI would go for the 10'. UEHAs are a good value for heavers but I've never thought of them as a plugging rod. (Take this with a grain of salt as I've never cast their lighter rods.) You should also look at Tica Dolphin, and Tsunami Airwave and/or Trophy rods. All are in the same price neighborhood. If you're thinking of two, get a 10' rated 1-4 oz and a lighter 9' (1/2-2 oz) for bombers, bucktails, etc.

I have a lot of fish on a 9' Tica. Only complaint I ever had was crappy guides. Especially, it seems, the tip top, which fortunately is super easy to change.

I've never used the 10' one, but I can vouch for the 9... okay at 1/2 oz, but happier at 3/4 up to 2, maybe 2 1/2. It will throw most plugs well, just not the really light or really heavy stuff. Fantastic at 1 1/2 oz, like the eel punt swimmers in the online store and tins.

View Postwould the slammer 560 be okay on a 9' tica?

Not sure the size of that one.... I can tell you that I had a Tica Libra 4000 on it for a while, and it brought in most of the fish on that rod. Bought it from the online store, you can check the specs there. It was a perfect match to the rod. If the Slammer 560 is in the same ball park, you'll be good.

View Postwould the slammer 560 be okay on a 9' tica?

It's a bit heavy for me, but f that's what you have it'll be fine. Do not too get confused with all the talk of matching rods and reels, especially when just starting off.