Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason B

6500 Big Game?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Gents,

Bought a 6500 Big Game years ago and it continues to sit in a box looking very shiny. Don't hear you guys talk about the BG very much. I hear the rocket and the yonder, but not the BG. Not sure why exactly I bought it, other than it probably was a good deal. I am getting back into the game after several years of other responsibilities, and would like to know how the BG should fit into my arsenal. Would this make a nice drum/striper bait slinger, or is it made for boat? What makes it a BIG GAME as opposed to the rocket or yonder? Is it known for casting? I know there are several ABU-Heads around here that could answer this in their sleep, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

JAson

I have one of the gold big game 7000. I love that reel. Ive taken many fish with it. I needs a new set of bearings and new drag washers now but I love the reel!! Casts like a monster when set up right. I would pair your 6500 with a 9 foot rod in the 1-4oz range. its gonna be a great plugging reel.

I am semi-guessing here, but if you bought it several years ago you have one of the old black Big Games. It differs from the Yonder and "standard" Rockets by having brass side plates that are painted black. The other reels have aluminum side plates. The Chrome Rocket has brass side plates that are chromed. Internally they are all very similar and are all great reels.

If you have the CT version--no level wind--I think it makes one of the best medium/heavy bait reels around. I like 6500-size CT's on 10 to 12' rods with 15# mono and 4 to 6 ounces. For 8 ounces and heavy bait I like the 7000 reels or the 30 size Daiwas, but that's just me. Some folks fish 6500's on their heavers and do fine.

If you have the CS Big Game--with a level wind--it makes a great reel for throwing metal and bucktails. I am not a big fan of using a level wind for bait fishing, but that is just my opinion. The level wind cuts casting distance some and is one more thing to go wrong. When casting bait it's no big deal to thumb the line back on. For lures and constant casting & retrieving, I prefer a level wind.

Have fun

No difference with Rockets or Yonders, basically a marketing name. If they are brass sideplates, it should do well in saltwater. Great for bait, levelwind or not.

View PostI am semi-guessing here, but if you bought it several years ago you have one of the old black Big Games. It differs from the Yonder and "standard" Rockets by having brass side plates that are painted black. The other reels have aluminum side plates. The Chrome Rocket has brass side plates that are chromed. Internally they are all very similar and are all great reels.

There seems to be some question as to exactly what the plates on the old black 6500 BG was made from--research some of Rumble Fish aka Poppy's posts.

Thanks for all the advice. Just to clarify, it is a black 6500 ct. It felt like my rocket (cs), but I wasn't sure there wasn't something else that made it "big game" thus potentially less of a caster. Glad to hear I can use it to cast and not just another boat reel.

By the way, almost all boards agree that the yonder is one, if not the caster, so what makes it better than the other 6500 ct's? After reading the posts, it sounds like the guts are the same.

Not intending to open a can of worms with the ABU-Heads with that last question, just curious if I need to add the yonder to my arsenal other than it is cool looking,,, which is usually my pathetic motivation.

Thanks

Can`t imagine why ABU would call a 6500 size reel "Big Game"

These reels are 14pound line reels.

I suppose it depends on what you class as big game fish, but even the 7000 size reels would be border line for big game IMO.

Again, just my opinion, but I think the CTC3 Mag Elite is the best 6500 distance reel in ABU`s stable.

The "Big Game" tag is a misnomer. There is nothing "big game" about any 6500 size reel. Designed for handling Muskie,larger salmon and larger inshore type fish.

Whether brass side plates, or not, they are typically not big game reels, in the way we know big game.smile.gif

View PostThe "Big Game" tag is a misnomer. There is nothing "big game" about any 6500 size reel. Designed for handling Muskie,larger salmon and larger inshore type fish.

Whether brass side plates, or not, they are typically not big game reels, in the way we know big game.smile.gif

Agreed. It really doesn't matter what the plates are made from, because the 6500 frame is going to flex if you try to put too much muscle on a fish, and you'll feel the spool starting to bind.

View PostThe "Big Game" tag is a misnomer. There is nothing "big game" about any 6500 size reel. Designed for handling Muskie,larger salmon and larger inshore type fish.

View PostAgreed. It really doesn't matter what the plates are made from, because the 6500 frame is going to flex if you try to put too much muscle on a fish, and you'll feel the spool starting to bind.

I also agree, those names; Big Game, Blue Yonder, Elite etc., were basically for marketing purposes. As far as I know only my older black (made in Sweeden) 7k series Big Game reels have brass side plates. The 5k & 6k are all great casting and fishing reels, however, just as long as one realizes their limitations.

I remember when they came out with the improved drags, I was thinking a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Now they're coming out with stronger gears. Anyone wonder why?? Stronger frames or spools will probably follow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

EC

Terrible reel... absolutely not able to handle any fish larger than a Stripercrazy spook. I'd be embarrassed to be seen with one. Mail it to me and I'll hide it for you.highfive.gif