Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surf Hunter

Back from La Paz Mexico

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Man O man, what a trip back To La Paz Mexico, I could totally retire there! First off, I have to thank Jonathan and Jill of Tailhunter International for a wonderful trip back to La Paz or should I say "Crack Town" Really, if you have never been the place gets under your skin, it is addicting. La Paz = Crack! Jon and Jill are the best hosts ever, making sure we have everything we need and are enjoying the trip. You guys ROCK!!!

So, flew in on Saturday, got to the hotel, had a margarita and some food, we decided to call it a night as it was getting late and we had one heck of a long day.

Got up in the am I grabbed a small baitcasting rig and Shannon her fly rod and we hit the beach at the hotel. Shannon managed a spotted bay bass and a porcupine pufferfish, I had about a 1/2 dozen bay bass.

finished up and headed into town, stopped by Jon and Jill's new place, it was awesome, great food, 2 for 1 margaritas, man, good times.

I had been craving octopus tacos since last years trip, headed over to Bismarck Cito and enjoyed.

Got up at 3am the next morning for our first day offshore. Met Captain Jorge on the beach and launched the panga. Got to a spot and started trolling black/purple rapalas, I had first hook up but lost it in minutes of the first run, dang, wish I replaced the treble hooks with singles. Started trolling a bit more and Shannon's reel goes off.

Settled into the fight we see deep color and eventually gaff a nice wahoo.

Moved a bit and got into a scratch tuna bite, ended up with three for Shannon and two for me, i also managed four really big triggerfish, was going to release them but the captain said they made killer ceviche, boy was he right. Shannon also managed a small amberjack that was also eaten that night.

Another pic of Shannon and her wahoo.

to be continued.............

So the next day was a non-fishing day. We scoured the town for more #1 live bait hook in silver, we brought red hooks but the captain said all bad buddy boy, the chrome matches the sardina so it looks natural. Finally found some and bought the last of the stock as we were searching for three hours. You would think a fishing town would have tackle. I can't wait for Tailhunter to start stocking stuff, will be great. Other then that, all we did was drink and eat, ate more then drank more. Loved every second of it.

The next day was hit and miss, hit the panga early, started out trolling but a few diver boats came on the scene and totally killed the bite. Grrrrrrrrrr

But on a lighter note, we saw boobies!!!! Well, brown footed boobies, but boobies none the less.

Moved to a sea mound and dropped deep, sloly picking away at a scratch tuna biyte, the fish were a bit bigger then the day before.

Shannon also caught this crazy red species of pargo (snapper) they said it does not get much bigger was had great color. Since it gut was hanging out its mouth we kept it and ate it for dinner that night, really really good!

Kill box o the day, four tuna, three triggers and the pargo.

More to follow..................

The next day was another goof off day, we had been craving empenadas so Jonathan told us about an open air market in town. Grabbed a cab and had at it. Found a food stall and sat down, ordered two emenadadas and also some chicken mole, oh man oh man, those old ladies can cook! the empanadas were perfect and the mole, man, I wanted the lady to adopt me so i could eat it everyday. Truly outstanding.

Woke up the next morning and headed out for the drive to the pangas. Loaded and hit the water to see if the wahoo had settled down fromthe other day and started trolling rapalas.

Had a pretty sunrise that day.

Nothing on the wahoo so wanted to see if we could catch a bonito to troll for dorado. Start fishing deep and managed three yellowfin tuna, Shannon got one as well, figures, the tuna had moved and now we catch them, go figure smile.gif

Finally got one good sized bonito and decided to move on.

Got to the dorado spot and rigged up stripped bonito, was not five minutes and Shannon hooks up.

Landed the fish:

Put the lines back in and about ten minutes later I hooked up.

Had to start heading and the Captain suggested we troll the lures we made, about twenty minutes and Shannon's reel screams, great fight, brought her around the boat a couple of times. Finally made it to the gaff and had to get a closeup of the plug in its mouth.

Shannon and the fish:

more in a minute................

So the kill box of the day was three dorado and four tuna, not a bad day for a "scratch" bite. Awesome day on the water.

Two of my tuna, not a bad grade, can you say sashimi? Mmmmmmmm

So the next day we woke up early, we fly back this day so wanted to walk the beach again, caught a nice sized for the area spotted bay bass.

Got back to the room and packed and headed out to the airport. Made it back to San Francisco before the fish even thought about thawing, strait into the deep freeze it goes for future yumminess.

Had a blast and can't wait to go back. Baja has a way of getting under your skin, go once, you will return.

Nice report,I love it down there.You can do a lot of fishing out of those little pangas.......I 've been a little leary of booking another trip there though,there have been some reports of americans getting kidnapped lately.

Wow,

Great pics, sounds like a wonderful time. I didn't even know about LaPaz until you posted.

How did you get there? Is there an airport in La Paz? I am going to look into it because it looks like a lot of fun!!! May be a place that could cater to my family even though my little fishermen are young. I am sure they would have a blast.

View PostWow,

Great pics, sounds like a wonderful time. I didn't even know about LaPaz until you posted.

How did you get there? Is there an airport in La Paz? I am going to look into it because it looks like a lot of fun!!! May be a place that could cater to my family even though my little fishermen are young. I am sure they would have a blast.

Yup, thee is an airport in La Paz, we flew Alaska air from SFO to LAX then on to La Paz. You can also fly into Cabo but the 90 minute van ride airport transfer can get expensive. Tailhunter took care of everything for us except our flights so that made it really easy.

Great pics and report Tom. Shannon looks sooo stoked with the wahoo biggrin.gif The pic of the mid air mahi is sick!

Sounds like an all around awesome trip for the two of you.