Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reed422

Shrimp at Wholefoods

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Actually, if they were previously frozen and put in the case half thawed, that is probably better than if they had been fully thawed. At least ya know they haven't sat out for days after being thawed.

Best way to buy any shrimp that is previously frozen is to buy them still frozen. Or the way you saw them, if you are using them that day.

View PostActually, if they were previously frozen and put in the case half thawed, that is probably better than if they had been fully thawed. At least ya know they haven't sat out for days after being thawed.

Best way to buy any shrimp that is previously frozen is to buy them still frozen. Or the way you saw them, if you are using them that day.

Yeah but I usually buy them thinking they are already defrosted and ready to go. I did go to legal and bought their peeled deviened shrimp and noticed they tasted much better then whole foods, possibly a placebo effect.

Shoot, two-three minutes under running cold water and they are defrosted.....no big deal.

Were the ones you saw at whole Foods the wild again? (I am guessing de-headed this time, as I think the head-on was a rare occurrence.)

Most wild head off shrimp are received in our area are previously frozen, and all the farm raised are previously frozen, so it is not unusual to find them half thawed.

as a side note, I just heard this AM that the Whole Foods in Dedham at the Westwood line on Route 1 is opening September 3rd. That is a bit closer for me, and REAL close for Donna's work (like walk across the street), although I am not sure I can trust her (or if she has the confidence) to get what I would request (which is kinda sad....shakehead.gif )

here's how i get mine !! 30lbs of nice fresh tails last time out and i'm going for more tomorrow. None of the frozen farm raised garbage for me !!

My friend bill with some bugs

Wow.

Hey Steve, what are these shrimp called? The price has jumped double the past month here.... use to be $20/lb and now is almost $40/lb. Most place here in Boston doesn't even stock them due to the price.

View PostWow.

Hey Steve, what are these shrimp called? The price has jumped double the past month here.... use to be $20/lb and now is almost $40/lb. Most place here in Boston doesn't even stock them due to the price.

They are called Spot Prawns. I got out on wednesday and got another 25lbs of tails. A couple of friends came along and caught a few nice salmon to take home with them along with some fresh shrimp.highfive.gif

another friend was out last week on his own boat and borrowed some of the tanner (snow)crab pots i am also building, they got their limits first day out

while they were out this guy raided their truck