Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ToadFish25

Anyone use a sacrificial knot?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone here tie a sacrificial knot from their braid main line to the rig or lure?

If so, what kind of knot do you tie?

I usually have braid, then a braid or mono shock leader (uni to uni), then the lure.

I just want to be able to save my braid line in case I get a snag.

View PostDoes anyone here tie a sacrificial knot from their braid main line to the rig or lure?

If so, what kind of knot do you tie?

I usually have braid, then a braid or mono shock leader (uni to uni), then the lure.

I just want to be able to save my braid line in case I get a snag.

I'm confused.. Are you talking about purposely making a weak spot in your rig just to save braid? Or just having a topshot? A 20' topshot of mono (equal strength of braid) saves my braid.

In the Cape Cod Canal (read snag capital of the world), it is common practice to use a mono leader of lesser pound test than your main running line when jigging. For example, I use 65 lb braid and 25 lb mono leader.

This way, when you DO get snagged, the leader will break before the braid if you have to snap off, saving your braid and, more importantly, not leaving yards and yards of it out there for other fishermen or wildlife to get snagged on.

I tried using a sacrificial leader for a while. Eventually, it just gave me the willies and now I don't do this. Your braid will always break at the knot. Trimming off a foot or so of braid and retying is not a bad thing. By the time you lose significant braid it will be time to respool anyway due to general line wear. - HPD

I'll have to agree with this .. using 50lb PP and 70# floro leader I find when i get snagged in most cases one of the following will occur:

I get it loose or I drag in what ever it is i snagged

leader will break at a contact point against structure or a hook will bend

a knot at the lure or swivel will give way

every once in a long while my main will snap which i take as a good thing because it means it would have went on a fish and better loosing it to structure than with a fish on.

now if your braid keeps breaking cut about 10ft off the end. if it continues to break .. your line is bad re-spool.

View PostI tried using a sacrificial leader for a while. Eventually, it just gave me the willies and now I don't do this. Your braid will always break at the knot. Trimming off a foot or so of braid and retying is not a bad thing. By the time you lose significant braid it will be time to respool anyway due to general line wear. - HPD

On a spinning rod the knot inevitably catches on a guide. Has anybody tried putting a piece of mono/fluro into the braid (Chinese handcuff style)?

Alberto Knie knot ... you'll barely feel it go through if at all.. and that using 50#PP and 70#floro

View PostOn a spinning rod the knot inevitably catches on a guide. Has anybody tried putting a piece of mono/fluro into the braid (Chinese handcuff style)?