Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stripeman103

Penn captiva or Shimano baitrunner 6500

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Alright guys need help on this one debating between cv28000 Penn captiva which holds 275 yds of 20lb has 8 bearings and a 4:1:1 gear ratio or the shimano baitrunner 6500 which has 3 bearings holds 270 yds of 20 lb and has a 4:2:1 gear ratio. Wanted toknow which one would be better for sharking off the beach along the jersey coast for browns, duskys, spinners and sand tigers. Most probably under 100 pounds could be a few exception I am looking to load the reel with 80 lb suffix braid. Please help

The Captiva is a cheap reel that in its proper size wouldnt be a bad choice for a 6 time a year FW fisherman who dosnt want to spend much money.Buy the Shimano.I doubt if the Captiva could stand up to a bluefish blitz.BTW I love Penns.

I have a Captiva and Shimano BR, but smaller models. I've used the Cap a few times and the BR many times and the BR is a superior reel im my opinion but the Cap seems decent for the $$. I have a tough time hearing the Cap when line is stripping off of it in the dark, waves crashing and windy. The BR has a nice loud sing to it....

Thanks for the quick replys guys looks like the baitrunner is going to be the winner That was what I was originally going to get but it seemed the penn was alot cheaper and had around the same stuff but if the qualtiy is poor then I would rather pay a little more and have the reel last plus it is going to be handling some big fish and the last thing I need is the reel breaking thank you.biggrin.gif

Hands down the shimano 6500...will last you a long time and handled big fish..

Question> why the 80 lb suffix??....think about this, the reel will never handled the drag for that line..

in other words the reel will give before the line does...

80lb braid will more than likely break at 90lbcwm31.gif ....

People go for brute power and thats the wrong thing to do with sharks...you

arent going to turn a big shark with that line and that reel..it just won't

happen...

if you are fishing the beach...go for line capacity instead of brute strength..

I have four shimano baitrunner 6500 one, two are loaded with topshot of 20lb mono and finished off with 30lb braid...

One is competely loaded with 40lb braid (500yds) and the other is loaded with 30lb braid (600yds)..

I fish the beach/inlets/jetties and i soak live/dead baits....i have sharks/cobia/tarpons/kings and bull reds

all running in the areas i fish in...if it wasnt for line capacity i wound never

land a fish...

is all this line a overkill...some might say yes but they dealt with a tick off

cobia/tarpon/shark...

these fish will take out a ton of line....would a stronger line turn these fish

ahh yes if i had a beefer reel...

A 6500 was never meant to handled 80lb braid...and a big shark will turn your gears to jelly

if you tighten down the drag and test that theory...

Look up a guy call "Airnuts" here and on youtude....he fishes with a smaller

reel but has alot of line capacity...

There is another guy up the coast that whips monster cobia off the beach,

also with line capacity....

take the time to research shark fishing off the beach...good luck

beers.gif

My friend had a Captiva, I forgot which size... Within the first 20 minutes on his first trip with the reel, I noticed rust on the line roller. The second day he had it out, we went on the boat, and a screw fell out and the bail fell off. He got a new one, and again on the second trip with that reel, a screw fell out and the bail came off. Is that quality??

I have owned a Shimano Baitrunner 3500 for years now, it is a great reel. Ive had the main shaft pop out once due to a part failure inside the body, which was fixed for about $20. I've also had the oscillation break, which was under $50 to repair. So altogether I believe thats $170, and less than buying three Captivas.

EDIT: You should look into the Penn Liveliners though. I have a Slammer and I can't break it for the life of me, and the Liveliner is basically the same reel but with a second drag. I've heard a lot of talk from other people on here who have also had the same experience.

View PostHands down the shimano 6500...will last you a long time and handled big fish..

Question> why the 80 lb suffix??....think about this, the reel will never handled the drag for that line..

in other words the reel will give before the line does...

80lb braid will more than likely break at 90lbcwm31.gif ....

People go for brute power and thats the wrong thing to do with sharks...you

arent going to turn a big shark with that line and that reel..it just won't

happen...

if you are fishing the beach...go for line capacity instead of brute strength..

I have four shimano baitrunner 6500 one, two are loaded with topshot of 20lb mono and finished off with 30lb braid...

One is competely loaded with 40lb braid (500yds) and the other is loaded with 30lb braid (600yds)..

I fish the beach/inlets/jetties and i soak live/dead baits....i have sharks/cobia/tarpons/kings and bull reds

all running in the areas i fish in...if it wasnt for line capacity i wound never

land a fish...

is all this line a overkill...some might say yes but they dealt with a tick off

cobia/tarpon/shark...

these fish will take out a ton of line....would a stronger line turn these fish

ahh yes if i had a beefer reel...

A 6500 was never meant to handled 80lb braid...and a big shark will turn your gears to jelly

if you tighten down the drag and test that theory...

Look up a guy call "Airnuts" here and on youtude....he fishes with a smaller

reel but has alot of line capacity...

There is another guy up the coast that whips monster cobia off the beach,

also with line capacity....

take the time to research shark fishing off the beach...good luck

beers.gif

Good point the reel was never meant to handle 80lb the reason I had selected 80 was because many people had told me that the sharks had wrapped them selves in the main line and cut the line with their skin So I thought 80 lb would stop that but maybe I should rethink this 80 lb is a lot I probaly could lighten up a little but I am still going tto stick with braid I had 20 pound mono on one of my other surf rods and a 3 foot shark I hooked up did what I think people say and wrapped itself in the line and cut it maybe I will down size to 40lb.

Do a search on pulley rigs....i have one thread posted with pictures..if you

can't find it i will look for

it later...

also do a google search on "Big azz pulley rig"....the way they are set up,

it allows you to cast a 6 to 8ft leader with a spinning rod...

it takes a 8ft leader and fold it in half and now it becomes a 4ft leader

but once it is cast and deployed it becomes a 8ft leader...

I use up to 400lb test leader for this...beers.gif works really well

Do not buy the Captiva! Just sold 2 of them after using them on 1 fishing trip. The Captiva is very smooth, but too many bearings for beach fishing. The less bearings the better for the beach. Shimano's are proven! Captiva is very cheaply made in comparison to the Baitrunner's.

They call it a craptiva for a reason. I had one in the 4000 size, something fell apart inside the reel within the first hour of use.

Ive never used the 6500 but it would have to be better.

View PostDo a search on pulley rigs....i have one thread posted with pictures..if you

can't find it i will look for

it later...

also do a google search on "Big azz pulley rig"....the way they are set up,

it allows you to cast a 6 to 8ft leader with a spinning rod...

it takes a 8ft leader and fold it in half and now it becomes a 4ft leader

but once it is cast and deployed it becomes a 8ft leader...

I use up to 400lb test leader for this...beers.gif works really well

Thank you very much looks like it could make fishing with all these crimps snaps swivels and loops much easier I cheacked it out on a few google websitesbiggrin.gif