Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AaronB

Help w/ Skunk on Nantucket

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I count myself very lucky in that my collage roomate lends me his small house near Miacomet for a week each year. Going there next week. Last two years it has been in August and I have gotten skunked surf fishing with lures despite throwing the kitchen sink out there. Prior trips in June-July and Sept have always produced a few blues and schoolies on the south shore and also at eel point.

I will not have an over sand permit. Will mostly be fishing around dawn and dusk.

Can you guys provide some general suggestions to help me get the skunk off next week?

Or, reccomend a tackle shop. The guy at the Mobil (Nantucket Tackle Center?) rarely gives me the time of day regardless of how much I spend.

Thanks in advance.

View PostI count myself very lucky in that my collage roomate lends me his small house near Miacomet for a week each year. Going there next week. Last two years it has been in August and I have gotten skunked surf fishing with lures despite throwing the kitchen sink out there. Prior trips in June-July and Sept have always produced a few blues and schoolies on the south shore and also at eel point.

I will not have an over sand permit. Will mostly be fishing around dawn and dusk.

Can you guys provide some general suggestions to help me get the skunk off next week?

Or, reccomend a tackle shop. The guy at the Mobil (Nantucket Tackle Center?) rarely gives me the time of day regardless of how much I spend.

Thanks in advance.

Try the new cut at Ester Island out in Madeket. Bring some light stuff out ther you might be able to catch a bonito out there. Bonito Bar is not that far from there. Also try the rip out on Low beach just before the Loran Station in Sankaty.

For tackle, Bill Fisher Tackle on the Polpis Road just past the fork on Milestone Road, and Cross Rip Outfitters on Easy Street downtown near the Steamship dock are both much more user-friendly than the gas station.

August can be tough for bass on Nantucket. Late night with bait or big noisy plugs might dredge something up. After you've spent some dough at one of the tackle shops, ask for updated intel.

Just to get the skunk off, I can't imagine, especially around Miacomet, that you couldn't bail some bluefish with what I think of as a basic Natucket arsenal of chartreuse or orange Roberts Rangers and Bounders, Red and White Spoffords, and some metal--#2 or #3 Deadly Dicks, bucktail Hopkins, and blue and white Kastmasters.

Look at a map for drive-up/walk-on access to some of the beaches east of you--Madequecham and Tom Nevers, past the fairgrounds.

View Post The guy at the Mobil (Nantucket Tackle Center?) rarely gives me the time of day regardless of how much I spend.

Thanks in advance.

Did you try the tackle shop that's next to the liquor store on Polpis road? Not sure if it's still in business, but it was open last year when we went down. I only ducked in for a second because I wasn't doing any fishing, so not sure how helpful they are.

Early morning trip to Smith Point usually cured the skunk for me. Fish topwater plugs or shallow divers through the rips. Bit of a walk but worth the effort.

Largest striper I have caught was off Pebble Beach just past Tom Nevers in the middle of the day late August. I was soaking squid though, not plugging.

Surfside at dusk July and August is always good for bluefishing. I have rarely been dissapointed.