Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarrylZ

Protecting yer casting finger

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Ok, so last year I fished FireLine for the first time, and this year I plan to use a mix of FL and braid. I've had problems with finger slices before, and I've seen the discussions earlier here.

Then I had an idea. What about trying a batting glove? confused.gif I just bought an $8 Mizuno model from SA. Figger I'll cut off all fingers except the casting finger, and see how it goes.

Anyone else tried this?

------------------

---- Facin' East, Darryl Z ----

---- Secretary - Shark River Surf Anglers ----

Might fly off on the cast. Sergio was using a piece of inner tube, may want to give that a try and it'll be much cheaper. They also make leather finger protectors for this application, they're elastic tubes with a leather front, $1 a piece. Mike

Mike...I'm going to wear the whole glove still, just minus all the fingers 'cept the casting finger. Certainly hope it don't fly off then.....might take my whole hand with it.... cwm24.gif

------------------

---- Facin' East, Darryl Z ----

---- Secretary - Shark River Surf Anglers ----

DZ -

Try Johnson&Johnsons's Sports Tape. I've been using it for a number of years now with good success. It's a little wide though so I tear off about 1/4 -3/8 inch before wrapping my finger. About a 4" strip will do your finger. It's rather water resistant and has a cloth like texture for gripping of line. Try a roll. wink.gif

Hooky

Johnson&Johnson also makes a product called Coaches Tape that is almost identical to their sports tape except it has a thin Teflon outer layer that I have found to work pretty good. It stands up a lot better than most of the tapes out there. The only downside to it is that it is 3 to 4 times as expensive and hard to find. The local Play-it-Again sports shop by me at times has it.

------------------

8ball.gif

buy the gloves that are made for chemicals ( white cloth inside ) at any hardware store . cut off the fingers that fit and you have multiple finger rubbers .

I've seen older Ocean City? reels that had a little piece of leather fastened to the reel.

When casting it layed over the spool for finger protection. When not in use it folded back out of the way.

Have you tried the Breakaway Cannon. If your not familure with it. It's a casting aid for spinning gear. It allows you to throw light to Heavy weights without the line touching the line with your fingers at all. Works outstanding.

First thing ya gotta do is take some pressure off that casting finger, but yes the braid can slice you. Ive tried all the leather elastic starp things, and the cots and lightweight gloves but the best ive found is just using sports tape. I will try the brand that was recommended in the above post.

I use spinning gear and tried that little leather finger stocking thingy--it kept getting caught up in my line when I was casting. I used electrical tape--cheap and got the job done--sticks like glue to anything-even fingers! The glove may work--I think I saw on Ron Arra's video where he was using an old leather raquet/handball glove.

green eyed di

[This message has been edited by greeneyeddi (edited 04-12-2002).]

I bought one of those Breakaway Cannons and I can't wait to try it on a 5 oz jig and launch one real hard over to Tim's aquarium and catch his fish without having to go across the canal biggrin.gif

The Breakaway Cannon is terrific. The only place I had seen them previously was in Cabela's catalog but the Sports Authority in West Long Branch carries them now also in the same aisle as the fishing tools like hook removers and needle nose pliers. It's $20.00 but definitely worth the price in smoothness of casting and increased distance.

Kevlar gloves from Outer Banks. $10, don't take much to get used to (just a little breakin in) and the hands are reversible so they last twice as long. Or two pairs is four right hands. Also offer protection from bass thumb and abraision. They offer no protection from hooks or dorsal fins however.

Steve