Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ESyakr

really would appreciate some advice!

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

hey all, i live on the eastern shore of va, and fish the pocomoke sound area, the sound that goes from watts island to onancock. anyway, i got a kayak, and am having the hardest time to catch anything but croakers. if i sit in a channel with squid and a bottom rig, i can catch more croaker than anyone in their right mind can stand, i love to do it, but would like to catch a trout or two, some red and black pups would be nice as well. to see the area i fish, go to google.maps.com and copy/paste: crystal beach, va. switch to satilite view for the best picture. this is the creek i fish, there is a channel that runs all the way out into the sound, then to the ches bay, 7-10' deep, 20 yards wide or so. one side of the channel is grass flats, 1-5' deep, the other side is sand flats, same depths.

i know this is alot to ask, but if anyone would take a look at this area, id appreciate any help, whether to fish grass or sand, in the channel, the edges, the flats. im lost. i dunno if there is even any reds in this area. thanks i appreciate any help.

i dont know the area but I fish the ches bay alot on the va beach side...I mainly throw lures but for reds I would cast net some minnows or larger bait and liveline them while they are alive and chunk them once they are dead. Stay away from squid. Also if you dont net bait go buy some mullet from a bait and tackle and use that. I would concentrate using this bait in/on the edges of the channels with a bobber or on the bottom or on the outside edges of the grass beds. If you want to double your catch rate do this around high water at night.

There are definately Red Drum and Specs in that area smile.gif If your finding grass beds interupted with channels, ditches, shell beds, the edge of the flats, or other structure, you're also in the right area.

Have you tried late afternoon into evenings during the spring (warmest water) when crabs shed?

Croaker are annoying, you learn that quick when fishing for Drum and Specs in the spring.