Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Central Ma Rail Trail question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

My wife's niece is coming up from Jersey, and she and her sisters want to go on a bike ride somewhere in central Ma. I heard about the central Ma Rail Trail. It runs from Rutland State Park, Rutland Ma, and supposedly goes all the way to Wachusett Res.

Does anyone know anything about it? I'd hate to drive them all the way up there for just a shot in the dark, only to be disappointed once they get there.

ive never ridden from the rutland side, but i have started at the chu end of it and ridden a pretty good distance along it when i was younger. at least at that end its a wide, relatively smooth dirt trail, pretty flat, easy ride. mass wildlife's wach res page may have more about it, and i know in the parking area at the chu there used to be a big trail map

There's another Rail Trail that follows the Nashua River on some of its sections. It starts in Ayer , MA center and goes through Groton and Pepperell up to the NH line. Nashua River Rail Trail with an Ice Cream stop in Pepperell. About 12 miles in total length. All paved. I'd recommend it...

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/northeast/nash.htm

If you ride from Groton Center up to Nashua and back (15 miles) you can have a great meal right in the center of town when you finish up. The place is called place called Gibbet Hill Restaurant...Nice place for a casual meal.

Bob, the trail started in West Boylston about 10 yrs ago with the addition of the two bridges over the Quinnie and now there are new sectioms adding on each year. Earlier this spring your favorite critter the Beaver caused a major break in the West Boylston side of the rail trail when a culvert washed out taking a large section of trail with it. The trail does start also at the old bridge off River Rd in Holden and runs down to the Res and then it runs over towards Trout Brook and over to Rt 31. Then it starts again in Rutland on Rt. 68 Running up to RSP and the Prison Camps. If they are riding Mntn bikes than RSP would be the place to go as it is all dirt roads. Here is the link to the non profit that runs the trails maintenance. It is a non commercial link so hopefully it is not removed. If it is just look up Wachusett Greenways. http://www.wachusettgreenways.org/