Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurfGuy85

quick plugs.

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So the device i use to spin dry my plugs after top coating them is broken. i decided i would keep shaping and i started doing something differently at least for now. once i shape, i seal the drill holes but not the outer wood. from this point after EXCESIVE sanding, i just paint my colors on the wood, let dry and fish in a few days.

so far after a few weeks of fishing there is hardly any ware on the paint with the exception of some hook scrapes. the colors arent as vibrant w.o etex but the wood absorbed the paint, once it dryed it seemed to have worked as a sealer for the wood. its a hell of alot faster and easier to do this way. sounds crazy but has anyone else done this?

View PostSo the device i use to spin dry my plugs after top coating them is broken. i decided i would keep shaping and i started doing something differently at least for now. once i shape, i seal the drill holes but not the outer wood. from this point after EXCESIVE sanding, i just paint my colors on the wood, let dry and fish in a few days.

so far after a few weeks of fishing there is hardly any ware on the paint with the exception of some hook scrapes. the colors arent as vibrant w.o etex but the wood absorbed the paint, once it dryed it seemed to have worked as a sealer for the wood. its a hell of alot faster and easier to do this way. sounds crazy but has anyone else done this?

1-what device

2-you spin-dry your plugs?need to know that one.

3-you seal the holes but not the outside of the wood?

when you finish TURNING the plug,drill holes, seaL THE WHOLE PLUG IN AND OUT,remember:the key about sealing is to keep water out,not just water from the inside but then the surface of the plug is not.

look at the first thread.

well it's just something i do in an emergency. normally i seal inside and out, prime inside and out, sand, paint and then etex my wood and used an electric drill on low to spin the plugs. if i need a plug fast il shape take a shortcut the plugs dont look shiny an fancy but if im just making it for a few trips i will usualy do this, or just to keep busy like right now.

if anyone has some kind of spin dry device they are interested in selling drop me a p.m. i need one badlyfrown.gif

View Postwell it's just something i do in an emergency. normally i seal inside and out, prime inside and out, sand, paint and then etex my wood and used an electric drill on low to spin the plugs. if i need a plug fast il shape take a shortcut the plugs dont look shiny an fancy but if im just making it for a few trips i will usualy do this, or just to keep busy like right now.

if anyone has some kind of spin dry device they are interested in selling drop me a p.m. i need one badlyfrown.gif

go to the search toolbar and look for spinner.

i made this same model.not my pictures,the idea came from another plug builder.you'll be making it out of pvc and i went to lowes and bought a grill motor for 24.00 bucks.very simple to make and you can spin 12 plugs at a time.

Well, you guys could tell I have been busy for a few months doing other things.

ETEX does not require a spinner if you do not want to use one.

Pull thin coat, hang and flip a few times within the first hour.

Someone, somewhere managed to drill in to everyones head that this requires spinner. It doesnt.

good luck

best wood to use like your doing may be aycbiggrin.gif if you epoxy seal with etex and heating the wood body you'll be fishing them in 24 hrs use gloss paint or clear to make it shine...some woods will suck more water than others and you'll lose the plugs action...I'd spend the time sealing it with epoxy with out a topcoat you could paint it a different color every weekbiggrin.gif you can paint a plug after a day or 2 after sealing with val oil......if the woods sucking water your loseing action....just my 2 cents....edbiggrin.gif

I've been sealing by dipping ayc plugs into a vat of either oil based exterior primer thinned down with min spirits, or recently just dunking in a can of bin zinnser primer.

no problems here, and much less hazardous.