pencil popping w/ gsb 132 1m?

Rate this topic

For some reason not all Lami blanks are the same. Not a criticism of Lamiglas just an observation. You should flex test the blank before it is wrapped to make sure is to your liking. Also remember that the blank will stiffen up the more guides that you use.

Marc

"Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience!"

In favor of an immediate moratorium on both Commercial and Recreational taking of Striped Bass.

View PostFor some reason not all Lami blanks are the same. Not a criticism of Lamiglas just an observation. You should flex test the blank before it is wrapped to make sure is to your liking. Also remember that the blank will stiffen up the more guides that you use.

Marc

Not sure I agree with this statement, I think that a blank has less action meaning "stiffer" BEFORE wrapping it rather then after??? confused.gif After its wrapped it will loosen up due to the weight of the guides. wink.gif

And honestly I wouldn't care for any 11fter Whimpier then my 11M but thats just me and I understand everyone has a preference, this is just mine. I feel it throws bombers and small plugs / jigs just fine and has the ability to throw over 4 or 5 oz. Also in lock down drag test it is able to produce roughly 15-17lbs of pressure applied to a fish which is decent.

Goodluck and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever rod you purchase.

LIBBA 1246

View PostNot sure I agree with this statement, I think that a blank has less action meaning "stiffer" BEFORE wrapping it rather then after??? confused.gif After its wrapped it will loosen up due to the weight of the guides. wink.gif

I hate to say it,but your wrong.The more guides, the stiffer the stick becomes.

The only way it loosens after being wrapped is yrs of fish abuse.

View PostI hate to say it,but your wrong.The more guides, the stiffer the stick becomes.

---------

I disagree.. the blank out of the package barely loads if you do a pencil popping motion.. Add 5 guides and it sways back and forth beautifully..

"The kids they dance and shake thier bones and the politicians throwing stones. singing ashes, ashes all fall down"

View PostI hate to say it,but your wrong.The more guides, the stiffer the stick becomes.

Jim, Then why is it when I felt a 132 1M Blank before I had one wrapped the finished product was much softer and slower in action?

I also had a well known great rod builder tell me that a blank will always feel stiffer then a finished wrapped rod due to the weight of the guides.

I hate to disagree with you and I know how much you enjoy puting me in my place tongue.gifbiggrin.gif but this is purely my own inexperienced findings as well as a rod builders opinion.

Though I have READ on here that fiberglass rods get stiffer with guides where as graphites get softer. Again thats just what I read in the rod building room and I couldn't tell you if thats true or not. Maybe a rod builder will chime in and shed some light wink.gif

LIBBA 1246

Log Cabins.

CD is right. The mass of rod guides causes more inertia and slows down the rods responce. A rod blank is much crisper in feel than a blank that is weighed down with guides. Don't believe that the sum total of all the guide feet length will splint that blank and tighten it up. As rod builders CD and myself will always try and select the smallest and lightest guides we can get away with and reduce wrap lengths and the amount of finish applied.

The rod has the same power as a blank it is just slower to flex and to recover from flex beacuse of the guide weight. Good rod design takes this effect into account.

Carbon is a very light material and because of that is hard to get it to flex against it's own mass. Add guides and it eases up in that regard. Flex a fly rod blank too rigourously against its own weight and you stand a good chance of breaking it.

Mike

View PostFor some reason not all Lami blanks are the same. Not a criticism of Lamiglas just an observation. You should flex test the blank before it is wrapped to make sure is to your liking. Also remember that the blank will stiffen up the more guides that you use.

Marc

That is very true. I've had 1Ms that were softer and 1Ms that were stiffer.

My take on the OP is this--if you want a dedicated rod for pencils only, go with a glass 136 2M. If you want a versatile surf rod for all conditions that can still work a pencil very well, get the 1M.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver