Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mitchellgoosen

pencil popping w/ gsb 132 1m?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

going to be having a custom rod built soon to fish this fall....im between the 132 1m and 132 1l, ive read alot of good about the 132 1m. Wondering how it is for throwing/working pencils in the 2 to 3 oz range.If anyone has experience with both it would be much appreciated.

-kevin

If the ONLY thing you'll be doing is pencil popping then get the L. If you want a rod that handles almost any surf aplication then get the M. Both of those GSB's will work a pencil well enough, but the L pops better because it is a softer blank.

I love the M for pencils. I dont work it like a traditional pencil rod though. Play around a little until you get the action you like. You dont have to kill youself working it to get the pencil to dance. I throw 2.5 oz to 4.5oz pencils with that rod and it loads nicely. Good luck!

I had both rods for years and my choice is the 132 1L. I have found I feel more comfortable fishing anything from Bombers to eels to throwing pencils with the "L" the "M" was always a better jetty rod for me.

I have to agree with this.. I have the L but heard the M is the best all around rod.. I love my L.. I mean, I always want a BIG fish but it makes for fighting all the little ones so much fun cause it has action and is not as stiff as the M.

View PostI had both rods for years and my choice is the 132 1L. I have found I feel more comfortable fishing anything from Bombers to eels to throwing pencils with the "L" the "M" was always a better jetty rod for me.

It's kinda a matter of opinion but the M is not a poker stiff blank and with a 2.5oz and up pencil it will work them very ok. I have the 1321M and it is a beautiful all round rod. Ok It is not the best at casting Bombers what is. LOL but it gets the job done. If you had the cash then the 1L and the 1M sets you up real neat for LI Striper fishing.

Loads of other rods out there but Lami has a long and decent pedigree.

Mike

View PostI love my L.. I mean, I always want a BIG fish but it makes for fighting all the little ones so much fun cause it has action and is not as stiff as the M.

The "L" will easily handle a large fish on the open beach, the "M" gives more control in the inlet. I only throw 2 3/4 oz and 3 1/2oz pencils and with the "L" I have no problem. Remember that before the graphites we used glass rods for throwing lures and they all worked and handled most lures without too many issues. Plus the older I get the softer rods are a little easier on my body.

I have the L and like it for pencils, its an awesome rod, would like some more backbone, and 11 is a little long so i chopped off 6 from the top. I like it more now, still has a really nice action, not quite as much ship for pencils but does a great job with eels, and turns the big girls a bit more now.

thanks for all the input..i did decide the M after all the comments, which i appreciate. After talking with the guy who is building it and how i will be fishing it the M sounded like a better choice. It will be ready for the fall and i wanted a rod that could do it all as well turn the fish away from the rocks in montauk and work pencils decently, which was the problem with my current st. croix.

thanks again guys, but now your making me wanna get 2 rods built!

-kevin